2009 4T Frustration

vanman1950

The 3.2's are awesome Bikes. Started on an '05 which was a little finicky at first but well worth it. Now have a 10th anniversary and a '08 with SPS upgrade and both work flawlessly, wish they still made them. You cant treat them like a 2t, Sounds like the guy you bough it off had no problem starting so bike is probably jetted and set up properly. Leave throttle closed and give a STRONG kick (dont jab at lever) Possibly get previous owner to give orientation run down if local.

Many thanks Steve I'm waiting for a plug spanner to arrive from Splat Shop then going to try new plug.

If that has no affect then I will take you up on your kind offer and ring you. I really want to ride the bike and I'm getting so frustrated as want to do a trial on Easter Sunday!!!

Can anyone offer advice apart from go back to 2t!!!!!

Chuck it off the nearest cliff & then go get p****d. Sadly you've bought one of the biggest Trials dogs of all time. 4RT as Gizza5 has said for reliability but the 4T Beta is a much better Trials bike to ride.

• Like 1

I have owned one for a few weeks, its been interesting. Managed to complete the second trial I done on it rather than the first three sections the week before. I have it in bits at the moment installing the hot start valve and am waiting for the sps parts to upgrade it.

When I got it right I loved it, Just want to improve my confidence in t to get the revs down, so I dont stall it and look a burk trying to get it going again. :wall:

No stranger to kicking big 4t singles as I have a 660 smc, same technique keep the throttle shut.

I would like to get my hands on a spare jet block for the pwk28 just in case when I am drilling it out it goes Pete Tong.

I will remember to "back off" the drill bit so it doesn't grab, unless I can find a reamer the right size! Does anyone know the thread size on the atomiser tube whilst I am waiting for it to arrive from splats. :icon_salut:

We are not here to beat you up or tell you that one bike is better than another hell there is enough of "my bike is better than your bike" on these forums, but the reality is you have bought a dog of a bike?

Posts so far from owners are that they have to do a lot of work on them to even get them started and when you do too scared to stall at the fear of not completing a trial, can't think of another bike like that ever built?

Unfortunately I have a feeling the guy that sold it to you has the biggest smile on his face, but it would be good to go back and take his advise on starting he might have a teqnique that no one knows about?

Good look with it hopefully a solution can be found maybe sell it on?

We are not here to beat you up or tell you that one bike is better than another hell there is enough of "my bike is better than your bike" on these forums, but the reality is you have bought a dog of a bike?

Posts so far from owners are that they have to do a lot of work on them to even get them started and when you do too scared to stall at the fear of not completing a trial, can't think of another bike like that ever built?

Unfortunately I have a feeling the guy that sold it to you has the biggest smile on his face, but it would be good to go back and take his advise on starting he might have a teqnique that no one knows about?

Good look with it hopefully a solution can be found maybe sell it on?

You and Percy have been on them Puss bikes too long! You don'y even know what a proper carbed 4T is!

I would hat to see either of you on a proper P65 lunker, you bunch of lazy!

Good one of that year and a clean carb starts easy peasy with a proper kick, and runs like a smooth bandit! Nothing like it!

However I will say the Beta 300 with the CV carb is easier to deal with until you flood it!

Many thanks to all of you who sent me replies both helpful and otherwise. I'm pleased to announce that having put in a new plug as per the manual having first got a spanner that fits from Splat Shop the bike runs and starts as it should. :D

Just as confirmation will try to post a video tomorrow.

• Like 1

i had a 2007 one also not easy to start and not nice to ride

a friend got me an oko 24 mm carb and it was a diferent bike starts perfect and a lot smoother

and i used a bosch super plus plug

a mate had one with more flywheel and that was perfect !

i took the decompressor out it rattles at low revs and that cant be good

Gents, for those worried about the sps upgrade....dont be. A 7mm reamer, m8 x 0.75 taps and your away. Oh and a block of oak and a 4 jaw chuck! Lathe, and a kind neighbour that owns the lathe.

However I have just reassembled the carb and put it on the bike but I don't like the feel of the throttle. I realise there is a spring pushing the new valve against the needle but it feels like the needle is not going fully home when the throttle is shut, Has anyone had to fit a stronger throttle return spring?

cheers Gary

Gents, for those worried about the sps upgrade....dont be. A 7mm reamer, m8 x 0.75 taps and your away. Oh and a block of oak and a 4 jaw chuck! Lathe, and a kind neighbour that owns the lathe.

However I have just reassembled the carb and put it on the bike but I don't like the feel of the throttle. I realise there is a spring pushing the new valve against the needle but it feels like the needle is not going fully home when the throttle is shut, Has anyone had to fit a stronger throttle return spring?

cheers Gary

No idea what this mod is about, although I do know the internals are different, did not realize it would require changes in the body.

Have not heard of modding one, all else just bought the new carb.

well update, I was concerned that the throttle didnt snap shut when I assembled the carb. I suspected the spring in the new sps valve was holding up the needle slightly.

First ten or so kicks all I got was a backfire. I gave up went back to work. Got home tried again, sparked into life easily but weirdly when I used both choke and hot start valve at the same time. My KTM does the same. Got it hot, starts superb and no spitting back so all in all its been a worthwhile mod. However the throttle is still not shutting completely, I have ordered a new spring, gonna try two to prove it and will try finding one slightly stronger. (Currenty ticks over at about 2500 rpm and runs on when you close off. I am sure its easy to fix in the morning. I reckon it has cost me 120 inc the hot start valve and sps bits.

One thing, if anyone else does this make sure you get all the bits i.e. the hot start valve came with no spring...the drain plug no o ring...frustrating to say the least. Overall the niggles pale into insignificance when you can just prod the kickstart when hot and it fires up!

Bring on the next trial.

Edited by castlegary
  • Like 1

Strange that after all this time and so many others you have found a good one.

Ticks over at 2500?

Nice!

Nigel, thanks for the comment, all sorted now double throttle return spring and its like a sewing machine, starts great ticks over great think its sorted. I will update when its been out in the dirt!