Turning Down Hill/ Cross Cambers

hrmad

no worries about going off topic Michael_t, I'm enjoying the photo ;)

Went to trials training wales yesterday for a practice day. Didn't spin once, the tyres are excellent in mud, up over roots and on slippery rocks. I've discovered stream sections are a lot of fun and technically interesting to ride because the line you pick determines if you 5, paddle your way through or get a clean. I also had a chance to practice a drop in down a bank, that has improved, still not using enough brakes down hills though. Had an awesome day, another practice day today with too old fellas who are definitely going to put me through my paces!

• Like 1

Always good to have a photography nut handy when putting on a trials event :).

It is always great to practice with others, especially if they know what they are doing. I am always pleasantly surprised when another rider points out something I am doing wrong, it typically makes a noticeable difference. We received more snow today so it is great to read about people out riding... I'm going to work on the GG today polishing it up a bit before selling it.

Edited by michael_t
  • Like 1

Heather, are the turns you're doing pretty much on muddy soil, or in rocks, or somewhat of a mix?

Jimmie

Generally over mud, roots and leaves, I ride mainly woods. I made some progress yesterday by using more front brake, less rear and keeping off the clutch more. I also learned to think about the paths my front and rear wheel are taking- that part is going to take some polishing though!

• 6 months later...

You probable know all this and it is only a few years practice that's needed, anyway my 10 cents worth;

If you run over roots try to ease off the brake as the wheel goes over the root, also at the same time try to get your weight off the wheel.

If there is a notch, ridge, or vee, in the root use it guide your wheel. It can stop your wheel sliding / washing out. I often ride a harder line to use these features, Often if everyone else is riding a line and the bark is gone, the root becomes very slippery, so you will need to "float" each wheel over it. Applying power as your back wheel hits it almost definitely will cause grief. Try to have enough speed to almost coast over.

This is a rough guide to tree roots, hope it helps

• Like 1