The Ilkley Grand National

laird387

HI,

One of the most traditional trials in the calendar - often likened to a mini-Scott trial - takes place next Saturday on the land around and over Beamsley Beacon, The Ilkley Grand National is a time and observation event where riders set out to find their own route across boggy moorland that incorporates observed sections.

If they complete the first lap within a fixed time allowance, no matter what their score on observation, they become eligible to start a second lap.
At the completion of two laps the marks lost on observation are calculated and added to the times for their two laps to determine the finishing order - definitely not a trial for the faint hearted - or those lacking bone-sapping stamina.
The images come from the 1980 event, which was won by Nick Jefferies, they were taken by Barry Robinson.
Enjoy

post-19290-0-85292000-1426943984_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-06102800-1426944028_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hi, we are taking part in this on saturday, well my son is, does anyone know of a post code or pub? near to the start of the venue, having never done this before not entirely sure where to start, also not been to ilkley or that area before, cheers

there is literally nowhere near the start.. if the start is at the traditional spot drive north out of ilkley and cross the wharfe turn first left along denton road..very posh residential.. follow this round and steep up hill toward Langbar the road goes uphill almost directly north keep on it you ll go through a very sall hamlet and the road will turn right up where you get onto the moor and the road turns left take a dirt track right for about a good half mile ( you ll think your in the wrong place..theres nothing there,,)

should be decent weather next week so the moors should be dry.. check every nut and bolt and make sure the things water tight. although no distance compared to the IGN of old its still a good old trip round and much of it is a LONG way from no where so bike prep is critical.

as regards how to ride it .. ride to win ( fast and hard) or ride to finish ( preserve bike and body).. my limited ability always meant i did the latter and once fluked an award which has pride of place in my almost empty trophy cabinet..

hi thanks for your reply, it is helpful, if I head into ilkley itself, (coming from Leicester, down south) is ilkley bridge easy to find, according to the entrance form, it should be signed from there, but will write down your directions, many thanks and well done on your achievement,
Mick

Hi,

Coming from Leicester I would approach via the M1, then from Leeds to Otley and continue on A65 to Ilkley. In the centre of town is a crossroads, with the railway station signposted up to your left, turn right off the A65, this leads you straight down to cross the river Wharfe over Ilkley Bridge, then continue northwards through Langbar to Beamsley. The 'track' up to the start is the old county road and those images I used were taken at the section known as 'Wards', which is usually one of the first sections and the county road can be seen just over the wall in the top picture.

Enjoy - avoid any brighter green patches of moorland on Beamsley - they are often covering a boggy patch.........