Another Blow To Super Cub Trials Projects.

charlie prescott

Hi Guy's.

I am fuming.

Another blow to the Super Cub Trials Projects.

Behind the scenes some of us in this country UK.

Have come up with the idea to build a cheaper to produce home build Classic styled trials Machine.

But there seems to be total dislike in what we set out to achieve by the whole of the trials organising committees across the land, and even the motorcycling authorities. Why?

Is there a commercial interest somewhere that I don’t know about? That is backing a campaign against what we were setting out to do?

Look the exercise was simple; buy a little motor unit for around the £300 mark, and put a rolling chassis around it for has little as possible.

Making a lightweight little machine that the elderly and young could enjoy riding (And the ones in between)

Without breaking the bank.

Jon and I and others, have worked hard to achieve this, but we seem to have hit a raw note with all of the trials organising world in this country?

Now if Sam or Mick Andrews turned up on one of these machines would they be allowed to ride in the event and then get slung out of the results on a Monday morning?

I for one will keep on doing what I am, to try and find a cheaper way into classic trials, rather than spending vast fortunes building or restoring machines.

Not that this is wrong, but it seems a shame that there is a cheaper way to build a Trials bike to ride, and we get only opposition.

What do you think??

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

I'm not into classic trials, but if your building a new bike, that never existed prior to now, then surely it can't be classed to ride in classic trials. Even if it's twin shock, it's still new, I would have thought that atleast the engine and probably the frame would need to be old (classic) for a bike to be considered a classic trial bike.

If it's the bike I'm thinking about, then that's not related to any old bikes, is it ? Why can't you just ride in club trials with it. Why, if it's supposed to be a cheap bike for people on a budget, does it have to be allowed to ride against old bikes, isn't trials all about the skill of the order against the course.

• Like 2

Who's upset the cart now Charlie? Jon was on one at the Twinshock trials ch/ship on Sunday, I did notice he wasn't in the running for points,( looked at results, I wasn't there). I am guessing it was his forks ?? Maybe I have missed something.

As you say they are modern built classic style machines but they are not a classic Pre 65, Twin shock or mono shock bike. Answer, Have a class for this type of special build bike like the ACU have very kindly (But wrongly in my opinion) set up a class 7a & 7b just for the odd bike in the Sammy Miller series or ride modern trials on the easier routes....

The rules are clear on the Twinshock championship web site as they are on the ACU sites for all the various championships.....

http://www.twinshockchampionship.org.uk/classes.html

I don't know why a few want to cause so much trouble for such hard working organizers & officials. If the bike don't fit, then ride an event & class that it does. In some cases, If a trial is not over subscribed i guess it's OK to ride on a no award and no points basis like Mr Bliss did on Sunday!

Much as i appreciate the skill, engineering & commitment to make a more cost effective bike but it's not right to think that just because they have 2 shocks it can be classified in a pre 65 or twin shock classic championship class which is governed like all forms of sport with a set of rules and regulations.

Oh, If Toni Bou or Mick Andrews turned up on it, If i was running the event, then yes they would be excluded.... Why wouldn't they be?

Just wish people would get on and enjoy this wonderful sport without all this bickering and politics from what can only be a tiny tiny minority.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 1

10443423_10153230563906180_6595884778437

Very Pre 65 including the rims. To me it's very much a special and ok to be ridden on a non award basis or why not just have a specials class and if so many are up for building one and riding them they can ride in that. Are we really saying that it's fair to put that against an Ariel or even a Montesa 247 etc ? Looks like a LOT of effort has gone into building a minimalist bike thats as light and hoppable as possible to gain an advantage IMHO

• Like 1

Do have a photo of a bike that rides at our events thats based on a similar motor that i think most clubs would have no problem with but it wont allow me to post on here :wall:

Put it on Photobucket, or send to me via FB, I'll post it, and interested to see it.

• Like 1

It looks like you have done a nice job, have you modified the gearbox?

But I can’t really see the point, I’ve just picked up a really nice standard beamish for £800 and I can ride this in any twinshock without any problems!

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

I am fuming.

Another blow to the Super Cub Trials Projects.

Behind the scenes some of us in this country UK.

Have come up with the idea to build a cheaper to produce home build Classic styled trials Machine.

But there seems to be total dislike in what we set out to achieve by the whole of the trials organising committees across the land, and even the motorcycling authorities. Why?

Is there a commercial interest somewhere that I don’t know about? That is backing a campaign against what we were setting out to do?

Look the exercise was simple; buy a little motor unit for around the £300 mark, and put a rolling chassis around it for has little as possible.

Making a lightweight little machine that the elderly and young could enjoy riding (And the ones in between)

Without breaking the bank.

Jon and I and others, have worked hard to achieve this, but we seem to have hit a raw note with all of the trials organising world in this country?

Now if Sam or Mick Andrews turned up on one of these machines would they be allowed to ride in the event and then get slung out of the results on a Monday morning?

I for one will keep on doing what I am, to try and find a cheaper way into classic trials, rather than spending vast fortunes building or restoring machines.

Not that this is wrong, but it seems a shame that there is a cheaper way to build a Trials bike to ride, and we get only opposition.

What do you think??

Regards Charlie.

what a load of rubbish !

As you say they are modern built classic style machines but they are not a classic Pre 65, Twin shock or mono shock bike. Answer, Have a class for this type of special build bike like the ACU have very kindly (But wrongly in my opinion) set up a class 7a & 7b just for the odd bike in the Sammy Miller series or ride modern trials on the easier routes....

The rules are clear on the Twinshock championship web site as they are on the ACU sites for all the various championships.....

http://www.twinshockchampionship.org.uk/classes.html

I don't know why a few want to cause so much trouble for such hard working organizers & officials. If the bike don't fit, then ride an event & class that it does. In some cases, If a trial is not over subscribed i guess it's OK to ride on a no award and no points basis like Mr Bliss did on Sunday!

Much as i appreciate the skill, engineering & commitment to make a more cost effective bike but it's not right to think that just because they have 2 shocks it can be classified in a pre 65 or twin shock classic championship class which is governed like all forms of sport with a set of rules and regulations.

Oh, If Toni Bou or Mick Andrews turned up on it, If i was running the event, then yes they would be excluded.... Why wouldn't they be?

Just wish people would get on and enjoy this wonderful sport without all this bickering and politics from what can only be a tiny tiny minority.

agreed !

• Like 1

It looks like you have done a nice job, have you modified the gearbox?

But I can’t really see the point, I’ve just picked up a really nice standard beamish for £800 and I can ride this in any twinshock without any problems!

It's not my bike it belongs to one of our members Jim Wicksteed. I was just trying to illustrate that you dont have to build them all minimalist and obviously modern. there is another way that is more in the spirit but i dont think thats what the builders of these bikes really want no matter ho much they keep saying it's only about using those Gas Gas forks that just happen to be lying in the corner of the garage along with the tubless rims etc etc. We all know why Jons bike "evolved" to be the way it is and thats about building the most competitive bike possible and to hell with the spirit of fair competition. There is another way to build a cheap pit bike conversion but this Ken Ives replica is the only one that i have seen that i feel is not trying to gain an unfair advantage unlike the others. But thats just IMHO

• Like 1