Another Blow To Super Cub Trials Projects.

charlie prescott

It's not my bike it belongs to one of our members Jim Wicksteed. I was just trying to illustrate that you dont have to build them all minimalist and obviously modern. there is another way that is more in the spirit but i dont think thats what the builders of these bikes really want no matter ho much they keep saying it's only about using those Gas Gas forks that just happen to be lying in the corner of the garage along with the tubless rims etc etc. We all know why Jons bike "evolved" to be the way it is and thats about building the most competitive bike possible and to hell with the spirit of fair competition. There is another way to build a cheap pit bike conversion but this Ken Ives replica is the only one that i have seen that i feel is not trying to gain an unfair advantage unlike the others. But thats just IMHO

Sorry, I didn’t mean that one, I was referring to the one at the top of the thread. (Charlie’s)?

I quite like the one in the picture you posted, it looks more period.

I can clearly understand why the Super Cub might not be allowed to be included in the results for a Classic Trial. In my opinion, the two obvious reasons are that the engine is of a modern design and brand new. Also, the frame is of a modern design and brand new.

However, a few weeks ago I was admiring a very nice "Bantam" trials bike, but the more I looked, the less BSA engineering I could see. It appeared to be built mainly from one-off or custom catalogue bits and was far from standard. Last Sunday I was inspecting a "Greeves", which appeared to have lots of modern bits on it, indeed the engine looked pretty new and I suspect that it was. Again, I was wondering how much of this bike was original. Trick, customised "Triumph" Tiger Cubs are also very common.

Therefore, if the above bikes and the many other similar custom bikes that regularly compete, are eligible for inclusion in twin-shock classes, then the Cotswold Cubs should also be allowed. Failing that, the scrutinisers should be much firmer about what is and is not allowable, to compete in a particular class.

On a different note, I was talking to two riders who had Cotswold Cubs. Apparently they are very light-weight (I think they said 120 pounds) easy to handle, relatively cheap and competitive (in the right hands obviously). I have not ridden one, but for me the very light weight and easy handling make this bike a very interesting possibility.

• Like 1

I see classic trials is turning to an upper class sport. There are guys spending 10K building a bike that ticks all the rule boxes but is nothing like a production bike of that era except it looks exactly like one. It's only a matter of time before they find a way of hiding an injector in a classic carb body!

They should, as others have said, just have an open modified class for the tricked up machines, There are 100's of tricked up TLR'S etc around. What will happen is the championships will loose entries as the 10K so called classic guys are putting pressure on the organisations as they don't like a 2K twinshock being as competitive as their boutique build.

I also agree that it's not fair to run a lightweight special build against a stock era machine, Just add a class, get more entries, everyone is happy, The clubs make more in entries and the ACU make more too.

Or am I missing something?

There's nothing wrong with building bikes like this, In the early days of trials, all bikes were modified road bikes anyway a standard trials bike did not exist.

I bet that bike is fun to ride, 19HP chinese pit bike engine, That will make all the hills and leave the bantams crying at the bottom!!!

#21 Triumph have already disguised injectors as carbs on their classic styled bikes.

Perhaps I should replace the shock on my Beta with a Piece of urethane rod, I could then go on to dominate the rigid class :chairfall:

• Like 1

I would have thought that to be considered 'classic styled' any trials bike would have to have a front down tube or tubes and that the engine was cradled by the frame or frame and bash plate.

Although one could label the C90 as a 'classic' and of spine frame construction, it was originally a step through design with leading link front suspension, which the 'super cub trials' is clearly not.

To modify a bike to such an extent beyond it's original design and silhouette and then expect it to be allowed into a category with bikes that have not been modified in such a way is, in my opinion unsportsmanlike.

As has already been said, there's nothing stopping you riding this bike for fun, which I believe was your original concept, as for building a cheap classic trials bike, there are plenty of bantam frames on ebay for less than £100

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Thanks Andy.

Guy's the cost of the Parts for the "Mini Otter" Super Cub Trials, I have just added up, less all my time and Frustration, adds up to £1000 pounds plus a carb that I swopped, this is with the T45 and Reynolds tube for the frame.

It is a super little bike to have fun with ask Ben about his.

There is nothing sinister about building these bikes, just an exercise to see how cheap you can put a competative little machine together.

It is Not claimed to be a Pre 65 machine although the engine had its routes before this time.

It is not claimed to be a period Twin-Shock, although the frame is based on, and has the same dimensions has a Mike Mills , Hubbo, BSA frame.

I just can't see the problem with these especially when Ground up NEW build bikes that have nothing to do with the era they are supposed to portray get to be classed has OK for an event when bikes like Jon's and mine get banned??

Have you looked at a Honda SL 70?

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1