Getting Started

juvecu

Hi Everyone, I'm currently looking at cheap trials bikes to get into it and learn new skills. Most of my riding is done on road with either my Suzuki DL650 V-Strom or my DR-Z400SM. I also have a set of off-road wheels that I put on the DR-Z when I want to do some off road riding. The off road riding is restricted to a few weekends per year when I load it on the back of a trailer, head off to a camp site and then ride around for a day or two with friends before going home. I've also had the Strom off road in Morocco on some TKC80 (knobbly) tyres. I quickly realised that one needs different skills for off road riding compared to on road riding and while trying to get more info on that I became interested in trials riding. I think it'd be great to give trials a go and any skills I learn should be transferable to off road riding as well. With the off road riding I find that the tougher the terrain the slower I go and the more fun I end up having, even if it's hard work at times. It seems trials riding fits in well with this.

I'm currently trying to find details for a group/club near Rugby that I can join, but the Club Directory on the main page just shows up blank page for me. I've tried on my phone, my tablet and on 2 different computers at home, all of them using different browsers, and I'm sure the problem isn't this side. Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on a group where I can learn near Rugby? Though I've been riding motorcycles for years I'm a complete beginner when it comes to trials. I don't necessarily want to compete, I just want to learn (that's what I always say and then I end up being competitive...)

Edited by juvecu

I'm currently trying to find details for a group/club near Rugby that I can join, but the Club Directory on the main page just shows up blank page for me. I've tried on my phone, my tablet and on 2 different computers at home, all of them using different browsers, and I'm sure the problem isn't this side.

This is being fixed as part of the news side upgrade that's going on at present.

Most of us don't have a local club to speak of, we have to do some traveling, it takes me just an hour from burton on trent, to get to my clubs practice ground at Earl Shilton, Leicestershire and my friend who i ride with comes from Coventry, about 45 minuets drive, i'v just had a look at the distance from rugby and it's about 35 minuets which is not bad considering the value for money, just £50 a year and you can practice 7 days a week, they also have a training day once a month which in my opinion is excellent value, £20 for the day and a trial once a month, if you go on a saturday or sunday their is normally a very good turn out so plenty of people to help you with your riding, all very friendly and approachable.

Edited by toetoe

As toetoe says Earl Shilton is probably your best bet, there's a trial on this Sunday 29th March, directions are on the website, come along and see what goes on, have a chat and get some advice

Another club local to you is Leamington Victory most trials will be held in the evening from now till autumn, they occasionally hold a practice session at their home ground.

There's also Nene Valley and Loughborough which are a little further but within an hours drive from Rugby

Went to ESTC grounds today to have a look. The weather was wet and there was lots of mud, but it didn't seem to put anyone off, lots of people there. Spoke to the club secretary to figure out how to join so will get that sorted this week.

I also bought and collected a bike yesterday, a 2000 Beta Rev3 250cc. It's in very good condition for the age, but I'll run over it and do some basic maintenance, mostly changing all the fluids and the spark plug, so that I'm sure things are in order before I start using it.

Thanks for the details on ESTC, guys, it was just what I was looking for :thumbup: