Chain Lube

gravity

it's been 35 years since l rode dirt bikes, and maintained a dirt bike, my road bike has a nice device call a scotoiler that is excellent, but would get trash on a trials bike.

so how do you keep your chain lubed.

chain wax

engine oil

or another type of oil

in the old days l would boil my chain in grease then hang, this seem to work well and get into every bit of the chain, not sure this is still available now.

thanks in advance

Some old trials bikes had the predecessor of the Scottoiler.
They stored some oil in the swing arm and had a small tap and tube that ended just above the chain.
Any good (dirt) bike chain oil/grease will do. I use S100 Weisses kettenspray and have some Castrol Chain Lube Racing wich I will be testing soon.
There's already been written a lot on this forum and you'll find a lot of different opinions on the subject.
Here's what I found after a small search:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/51625-what-chain-lube/page-2?hl=%20chain%20%20oil

I've bought every chain lube known to man and a few months ago i got fed up with paying £10 a can that lasted me about a month, one day in Tool Station (part of Wicks) i was looking in their catalog and they do a chain lube for £2.80 a can, and its the mutts nutts, foams up good and proper and lasts

The tool station chain lube is o.k but messy, and a pain to wash off and de grease.

I have used the tool station white grease, about 3.60 odd, for a few years now, I always clean and de grease the chain after every trial as it's the only way to get all the grit out of it. The pressure washer gets most of it making it easier in the solvent tank afterwards.

Don't use WD40, It's ok to spray with to stop it rusting but a chain needs grease to protect it and the sprockets from impact wear.

The right chain oil ... there are as many opinions as brands. Coming from boiling the chain in this messy chain grease, then using all kinds of oils I now use PTFE. PDL chain lube is the brand but I think there are similar brand were you live, works great don't attract dirt easy to use and no significant wear to any chain I have used so far.

If you can be bothered, NOTHING works as well as boiling in wax, it is the only way that lube can get right into the rollers, and it dries non-sticky, but it's a smelly dirty job!

WD40

Nothing better

Most chain lube on the market is sticky and attracts the dirt like grinding paste WD40 repels the water after washing and give a light lubrication

Edited by gizza5
  • Like 1

Nothing better

Most chain lube on the market is sticky and attracts the dirt like grinding paste WD40 repels the water after washing and give a light lubrication

As Gizza said, sticky = attraction of dirt creating friction, my chains last ages and always look like new.

I have gone with the oil from my road bike scotoiler, as had been said about cost, no extra outlay for this as l always have some for my road bike, did my first trial yesterday, after washing the bike down afterwards the chain looked good, I also now think a grease will attract to much dirt & grit.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually like to use products for what they are made for.

So I wonder why WD40 has brought their own chain lube on the market when ordinary WD40 is the perfect chain lube according to some...

Edited by guys
  • Like 1