Illustrated History Of Ssdt

laird387

Hi,

If you would like a fully illustrated copy of the History of the SSDT - a serialised copy of the Green Book - 'Lochaber Rich Mixture' by Ed Stott - but revised and brought up to date, then a simple subscription to the digital magazine ORRe (go to 'trialscentral' homepage and select ORRe button at top right) will immediately give you access to all the back copies, which already include the history of this famous event.

Attached is just one sample of the photographs included, showing Johnny Draper on the works BSA Bantam waiting to start the week - in which he won the 'Under-150cc' award, and thus completed his tally of winning every solo class in the SSDT - a feat equalled by only one other rider in the whole history of the event. Who was that other rider - get ORRe and find out...............

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-77065300-1428061289_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

The passing of Derek Milner Allen in The Grange Crescent Care Home, Sheffield, on Wednesday at the age of 82 brought closure on a sidecar passenger who partnered Sheffield, latterly France, character and 1959 Yorkshire Centre A-CU President Jack Oliver who won the last Scottish Six Days Trial riding a sidecar outfit. Derek would have been 83 on Saturday. Former Alan Morewood passenger Phil Granby broke the news to ORRe early on Thursday morning.

Jack Oliver was prominent in the sixties when his mother rode sidecar trials with her son, readers will remember the photographs of them in action in ORRe. 

No funeral details have been released as yet.

Edited by laird387

Very sad to hear this news about Derek Allen today, He helped me with refueling at the Scottish six days trial for a number of years until the army tuck over from the private clubs.

I have just a few photos of me in the Scottish and most were taken by Derek.

One good memory was catching him out in the ssdt one year, i was the first rider of our club (Sheffield & Hallamshire Mc and Hillsborough Mcc,) on the road  and i turned up earlier than he expected so he started to pore fuel into my bike complete with cigar in his mouth!

Stephen Bisby.