2014 Factory Fork Cap Removal

mcman56

The one fork cap looks like it needs a pin type spanner wrench to remove.  Will a couple of dowel pins pressed into an aluminium plate be strong enough to remove or is there another recommendation?  (At first look 1/8 pins on 24.5 mm centers would fit.)  The other cap has a pretty small square for a wrench so both look pretty easy to damage.  Do these come out easy or are there some tricks to avoid damage?  This is a 2014 Beta Factory 300.

I can't give information on the specific pin spanner etc, but do make sure you release the forks from the triple clamp or at minimum the top clamps as the top clamps will also tighten the top of the fork against the fork cap. My experience is that the fork caps release easily once the top clamp is released as the tightening torque is not very high - particularly given the light aluminium construction. Best not to try to loosen them before you have released the top clams as that is when you will use excessive force and damage the fork caps.

• Like 1

I can't give information on the specific pin spanner etc, but do make sure you release the forks from the triple clamp or at minimum the top clamps as the top clamps will also tighten the top of the fork against the fork cap. My experience is that the fork caps release easily once the top clamp is released as the tightening torque is not very high - particularly given the light aluminium construction. Best not to try to loosen them before you have released the top clams as that is when you will use excessive force and damage the fork caps.

+1