Going Backwards

elliotsdaddy

Have seen something similar on a beta years ago, started the correct way around then when the throttle was blipped the motor gave a cough & started running backwards & ran perfectly well to the point that the rider could ride backwards a fair distance. Problem turned out to be the cdi

Have seen something similar on a beta years ago, started the correct way around then when the throttle was blipped the motor gave a cough and started running backwards and ran perfectly well to the point that the rider could ride backwards a fair distance. Problem turned out to be the cdi

Yeah its possible. Have had it some times with editions, only with starting though. Friend of mine used to have a cz two stroke bike, it reversed at stationary at the traffic lights! Gives funny situations! lol. Adjusting the ignition solved that problem. (its cant be good for the engine)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for for all the replys. Very helpful indeed.

I really like the fact that on here, if you've got an issue, the response is always swift and full of advice. :)

yep responses are swift and full of something.........  :moon:

• Like 2

This starting in reverse used to be quite common when points ignition bikes bounced back off a rock step. Ships 2 stroke diesels are designed to start in either direction, saves having a reverse gear.

If it happens on a trials bike stop it immediately, running backwards could cause a nut on clutch, flywheel or primary gear to unscrew.

Rather than starting this up again in the Sherco section asking for help, does anyone have any advice with where to start first with regards sorting this out?

I'd like to fix it myself if possible so an 'Idiots Guide' walk through would be much appreciated if someone has the time to spare.

• Like 1

First thing is to check woodruff key in flywheel has not sheared, and it and the keyways are in good condition.

Next (using a dial test indicator in plug hole) mark TDC and 2.5mm BTDC on the flywheel. Attach a strobe light then spin the engine (battery drill is good for this) and see how far BTDC engine is firing. If it fires more than say 3.25mm BTDC then timing is almost certainly wrong. At this point you need manufacturers specifications or more advice.

• Like 2

First thing is to check woodruff key in flywheel has not sheared, and it and the keyways are in good condition.

Next (using a dial test indicator in plug hole) mark TDC and 2.5mm BTDC on the flywheel. Attach a strobe light then spin the engine (battery drill is good for this) and see how far BTDC engine is firing. If it fires more than say 3.25mm BTDC then timing is almost certainly wrong. At this point you need manufacturers specifications or more advice.

Eh?  :dunce:

Thanks for taking the time to write that 'dadof2', a bit over my head if I'm honest.

I called BVM earlier so hopefully I'll be able to get it booked in for some alone time with someone who knows what they are doing.

Was hoping to pop up Zona1 and have a play/fall off lots bank holiday Monday, but might have to give that a miss.  :(

Thanks for all the help chaps.

Chris.