Chroming Classic Parts.

metisse

Would any restorers give me a little guidance on a quote I have received for some chroming works from a company based in the UK.

I wanted a set of swm mudguard stays and kickstart shaft chromed and have received a quote of stg 345 plus vat.. Owing to the fact I had some fork legs chromed last year for around 175 I thought this a tad excessive... or does this seem the going rate..

Thanks

They are two completely different processes, not usually done by the same company.

The kickstart etc rechroming is called decorative chrome plating and is applied using electrolysis. Fork tubes are hard chromed, which is chrome metal applied (metal sprayed) at high temperature.

Also fork tubes can be done semi-automatically while there is a lot of manual labour in doing decorative chrome work, especially replating something, hence why it is more expensive.

That price for the decorative chroming does sound steep though from my experience

Edited by feetupfun

As with most things in life you should shop around and get more quotes. Some places might not really want the job for some reason but rather than decline they quote a high cost and in the event the customer accepts they are quids in. Off topic a bit, but last year I had my asbestos garage roof removed and had quotes ranging from £350 to £1800 and the largest quote was the first one I got back and I nearly fell over when I saw the price...

If it were me I'd be trying to get 3 quotes for your chroming.

• Like 1

Even better than a bag of quotes would be some recommendations from someone who has had similar work done and been satisfied with the result - then look for a quote.

One thing to remember - a lot of the cost is in getting the bits to be chromed 'ready' - bearing in mind that decorative chroming merely electroplates a layer of chromium on to a prepared surface - and the quality of the finish will truly reflect the quality of that prepared surface.

So start out by using a wire brush in a drill - or whatever you have in the workshop and get your bits as close to looking like 'polished' as you can - then hand it to the selected chromer.  He may well set to and give it an even better polish before he starts the plating - but he will have noticed that you are keen on the quality of the result...........

PS For metisse - does the price you were quoted reflect any national bias..............

Also fork tubes can be done semi-automatically while there is a lot of manual labour in doing decorative chrome work, especially replating something, hence why it is more expensive.

Id never expect anything as simple as a few small pieces to be more expensive that rechroming fork legs, which require machining post plating.

345 isnt far off the price ive been quoted for complete frames being plated!

PS Have you tried prestige electro-plating 01709 577004 ? Id guess that 50 quid should be more than adequate

Edited by faussy

As with most things in life you should shop around and get more quotes. Some places might not really want the job for some reason but rather than decline they quote a high cost and in the event the customer accepts they are quids in. Off topic a bit, but last year I had my asbestos garage roof removed and had quotes ranging from £350 to £1800 and the largest quote was the first one I got back and I nearly fell over when I saw the price...

If it were me I'd be trying to get 3 quotes for your chroming.

Off Off topic, £350 and your asbestos is fly tipped.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I have today sent a polite email explaining the fact its a little pricey and I am awaiting a reply.

I have rather,, and this is a French word, bolloxed myself as they have already got the bits in their hands, having lived up to a rather apt nickname of Haisty... and not had a verbal quote before they left this side of the channel, after thinking it wont the that expensive.....

• Like 1

Wow that is really expensive. I paid not even the half in € for galvanizing a couple kg of screws and rechroming a Bultaco kick starter and a gear lever in 2012.

It's not uncommon at all that you have to send them the parts in advance for getting a quote. If you can't agree the price tell them that they have to send back the parts. They then might give you a second price/quote

Off Off topic, £350 and your asbestos is fly tipped.

The disposal document I received through the post which is also registered at a goverment office has no mention of fly tipping! It was disposed of in the correct manner. The company I used does private jobs at a reasonable cost due to being able to piggy back them onto a larger industrial contracts.

I almiost feel insulted that you think I would engage into a contract knowing it might be fly tipped...

The disposal document I received through the post which is also registered at a goverment office has no mention of fly tipping! It was disposed of in the correct manner. The company I used does private jobs at a reasonable cost due to being able to piggy back them onto a larger industrial contracts.

I almiost feel insulted that you think I would engage into a contract knowing it might be fly tipped...

Don't be insulted, be safe.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cpcs-property-asbestos-ms.doc

Hi All

I am involved with many plating companies for the disposal of their spent chemicals. shop around for prices, there are loads of plating companies. Some of them specialize in small restoration jobs & some of them are purely industrial.

What I do know is the cost is mostly due to preparation of the parts, if you can prepare the part to the standard required to start the chemical cleaning process, this should save you a large proportion of the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a phone call from this company stating they now cannot do the job for the price they quoted and want even more.... lots of work involved ... only a kickstart and a set of painted mudguard stays to strip .  Sadly  the SWM wont get the blinged up  , but the money saved can go on a set of mudguards and electronic ignition for the TY that  recently , crept unseen  into the barn one dark night..

• Like 1