What Did You Do To Your Bultaco Today?

scot taco

Big black rubbery circle things fitted :D

I went for Pirelli MT43 as I'll be just doing general off road pottering (and I got a really good deal on them!!)

The security bolts were absolutely knackered so I had to replace them.

tyres_zps3nndmfjm.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 06/05/2015 at 11:29 PM, lorenzo said:

Bondy - ref. the pic. in post #55  - is that a new cylinder liner ?

.......Copper head gaskets no longer made, eh ?

I'm glad I bought some when they were still available (and possibly less expensive).

Bultaco copper cylinder head gaskets.jpg

I think the last time I saw any for sale they were about £20+ each, although Bultaco UK offers an aluminium version at £15.99.

Done no actual work to the bikes beyond sorting out what needs to be done, and in what order - organising parts, etc.

You know, all the boring stuff.......

Hi all. Please excuse my ignorance. Ref Cu head gaskets. My 325 Sherpa Model 191, did not and does not have one. Should it? 

My Vincent's, no gone, sealed with alloy head onto cast iron line same as my 325. 

Looking forward to your observations.

jj

Hi jonjeans. If you Sherpa has the liner protruding above the barrel with a hollow ring the same size in the head then it does not have a head gasket. If it has a flat head and a flat top of the barrel then it does have one. I think the 191 would be the same as a M159 and they don`t have a gasket. Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to fit a replacement left side engine cover on my M49 with one I bought on eBay. To my dismay the clutch cable anchor point had been snapped off! Not to be deterred, I filed it flat and machined a block to replace it. Got my mate to fire up his Tig welder and job is a good un! I'm not sure how its meant to look so iĺl try and post a photo. Not sure if it should have a slot in it...

20180220_182031.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bought this little gem last week.

One owner from new , never trialled, bash plate and cases are unmarked.

1150 farm field miles since 1979.

Completely original condition. Rear shocks work perfectly and the engine sounds superb, really crisp.

D8E50E3B-BA87-4F12-9D58-42685615367C.jpeg

9E5B7657-4C75-40E2-B0E4-90E4209837DF.jpeg

E53BD4F5-EA30-4102-8A9B-31E08D546DA5.jpeg

• Like 4

Hello chappo that's a good find just debating what to do with a 340 ive had for about 8 years been in the loft in bits the Engine is together with New bearings ect frame just been painted. some New part tank ect not sure what to do with it at the moment as am into the modern stuff:thumbup:

Hi fourex. No, it was only in the UK I think because of the rules saying that you can`t have a Fibreglass or a Plastic fuel tank. I know NZ, SA and the USA all had Plastic tanks and I think all of Europe also had Plastic tanks. Graham.

The UK 199a had an alloy tank. same as earlier models. The B had a different alloy tank unique to that model but it may have been supplied with the bike as an extra as there were many B models in UK with the plastic tank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting near finishing the restoration of my M188 Alpina. One issue that has been causing me issues is the brake stop light switch. The switch is of an unusal design and exact replacments can not be found. The original switch is held in a normaly closed condition by a tag on the brake pedal and switches to normaly open when the pedal is depressed.  I could just fit a more modern part but this would not be my style and most work the other way arond with regard to N/O N/C so would need some rework or wiring change. I have two original switches and both were corroded inside and not working. Both are 40 years old so I will not compalin to FEMSA about quality. They have a plastic housing part that both broke when trying to take the switches apart as they are not designed for disassembly. I have in the past tried gluing similar plastic parts but not had any success.

So after all this waffle  " What did you do to your Bultaco today?"  

I 3D modelled the broken plastic part and 3D printed replacements in ABS plastic. The picture shows all the parts of the two switches layed out ready for reassembly. I am using copper rivits to replace the contacts that I had to drill out.

I have also lost the saddle that fits the handle bars for the light switch so I will print a replacment part next.P4021952.thumb.JPG.b8a8c975f403d8eb780a87cc76634c28.JPG

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
  • Like 2