What Did You Do To Your Bultaco Today?

scot taco

I bought one.......

Bit of nostalgia at 56, remember riding one in 1981 and although I ride a modern bike now I always fancied revisiting my past, when I wasn't half bad, now I'm pretty average.

Anyway a problem with my modern bike made me take out the Sherpa to a local event last week.

What a good time I had on her, a real blast from the past with memories coming flooding back. My mate who I ride with said I rode it better than my 4rt !!!!!

She has electronic ignition and ran really well seeing I hadn't ridden her before.

Just by the end of the trial she was sounding noisey at the top end and running hot, to be investigated.

What a great experience, don't think I touched the clutch lever in any of the section ??????

Anybody recognise the winged bashplate, is a homemade adaption or were they manufactured to that design, looks a good mod until you want to remove a casing.

post-15477-0-27143200-1463757056_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-83952800-1463757086_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-81227200-1463757108_thumb.jpeg

post-15477-0-30959400-1463757131_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi Chappo. Nice buy. It looks like a M198A. The bash plate is a standard one with some wings welded on. I`d leave the bash plate as it is and just pull it off when you need to get inside it. As you can see the standard bashplate left the cases a bit exposed in rocky areas. Graham.

Today I finally got the stalled project going again. All the little mods fit as they should. The alloy tank has been separated and all the dents knocked out. Just needs welding back together. A bit expensive but worth it.

Looking good please keep us up to date.

Have you added an extra tab under the top tube for the later type triangular 199b head steady?

If possible please post photos of the handlebar clamp mod and the footrest carriers.

Edited by trialsrfun

I brought another one home.1967 Matador 4 speed.Not a trials bike and not real pretty,but I could not pass up the deal.

Does anyone know how much difference there is in the transmission ratios between it and a 4 speed Sherpa T?

post-17837-0-10784800-1463846831_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-31809700-1463846860_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

hello noel the red 198A is on going the frame S/Arm is all prep and painted in silver the bottom part off the Engine is built new bearings ect got forks yokes wheel need building. post-12321-0-71401300-1463907098_thumb.jpgpost-12321-0-24036800-1463907134_thumb.jpg this is my 199A I rebuild

Edited by bondy
  • Like 3

Hi robbiesty175

It's actually pretty easy to do. On my frame there was a hole already pre drilled and this is my start point. This hole is also the central point of the left hand brake pivot shaft. I used 25mmx4mm bar clamped to the frame in line with the bend on the swingarm bracket and drill m8 holes. Once drilled just bolt up making sure the bar and bend are lined up and tack weld the nuts to the frame. A hole needs to be drilled and tapped into the brake pivot shaft not to deep though.The length and final peg hieght is for you to decide. I think mine is about 30mm back but the height is similar as I'm on the short side. Hope it makes sense mate

• Like 1

Hi robbiesty175

It's actually pretty easy to do. On my frame there was a hole already pre drilled and this is my start point. This hole is also the central point of the left hand brake pivot shaft. I used 25mmx4mm bar clamped to the frame in line with the bend on the swingarm bracket and drill m8 holes. Once drilled just bolt up making sure the bar and bend are lined up and tack weld the nuts to the frame. A hole needs to be drilled and tapped into the brake pivot shaft not to deep though.The length and final peg hieght is for you to decide. I think mine is about 30mm back but the height is similar as I'm on the short side. Hope it makes sense mate

PERFECT!!!  My thanks!

I had a go at cutting open repacking my exhaust with the help of a friend, I had the luck of bumping into one of Bultaco top works riders and he told me how he repacked his which was a really big help in making sure we had a good chance in doing a nice job of it.

we cut it open and pulled all the old packing out which was all gummed up then got a blow torch on it and burnt all the crap out of it till it all looked clean then repacked it nice and tight. 

BR 

post-14180-0-36998600-1464082576_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-49791100-1464082577_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-64617600-1464082578_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-76605800-1464082579_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

When i first started riding my Blue Bultaco 199A in trials i was having trouble with the chain jamming full of mud in the rear sprocket lots of mud and sand were i ride. i did not really understand why it 

was happening so i posted on here and got good feed back and a great tip from Woody on how the rear tyre can feed mud on to the bottom run of the chain into the rear sprocket, the sand and small stones mixed in the mud did not help at all. So i cut the lid of a soft plastic box up to make a flexible bottom bit for my chain guard to try and stop the mud getting onto the bottom run of the chain. 

When i had finished fitting it i was thinking thats going to last 5 minuets ...... before it gets ripped off and lost. i counter sunk the heads of the nuts on the tyre side so they would catch the tyre or hold onto mud, i used small nuts and big washers to try to keep them out of the way of the chain and the tyre.

Well after 3 trials its still hanging in there ...... and after the first trial in the sandy quarry the chain was still nice and clean at the end of the event which was a first for me. 

post-14180-0-54461600-1464085103_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-55845700-1464085104_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As you can see i  have had a bit of time off work, im not good at sitting still ...... So have been doing some jobs on my bike and over thinking......   I took the head off to have a look every thing seems nice and tight ( my friends words ) The marking on the top say T2-- is this to do with size of the piston 

I have a low number 199A did the first ones have the gear box drain plug on the bottom it has the small almost flush one not the big 199 style one ( way too much time on my hands ) 

post-14180-0-16785000-1464087268_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-75030000-1464087493_thumb.jpg

Edited by bultacorock
  • Like 3

All the M199A`s that I have seen here in Australia have had the drain plug in the side of the engine case close to that case nut in the middle. All the earlier ones had one like yours. I think that T2- thing is how much clearance the piston needs. In thousands of an inch. I`m not sure on that one though. Graham. 

• Like 1

I brought another one home.1967 Matador 4 speed.Not a trials bike and not real pretty,but I could not pass up the deal.

Does anyone know how much difference there is in the transmission ratios between it and a 4 speed Sherpa T?

attachicon.gifDSC05076.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC05079.JPG

None as far as I know, the difference is in the primary gearing. These make great trials motorcycles with very few changes.

• Like 1