349 Crank Seals

martin 305

Just got a 349 and will only run on choke , cleaned the crud out of the carb and tank fitted fuel filter , still the same .

Now doing crank seals but can't seem to get the gear off the crank shaft primary side to access the seals !! Any tips stripped the threads on my puller

You've just discovered one of the hardest jobs on your bike.

The easy bit should be the flywheel nut. I found shocking it off worked the best. Get a long ratchet on there and hit the end down with a hammer. The fly wheel will move a little but the compression should hold it fairly still. It may take a few hits before the nut will crack.

The primary gear on my 348 took me months to get off. I went through about 4 different types of gear pullers, some broke and some were too big, so would just slip off.

I eventually bought a puller which worked, it cost about £25 from ebay and looked like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/zJ8AAOSwd4tUF4ZU/$_12.JPG.I know some people on here have made their own pullers, which have worked.

Firstly I would say take the clutch basket off so you don't damage it's teeth. If you haven't ever removed this before, do it slowly as there are 3 metal dowels which hold it on the shaft, they may drop out so keep an eye out for them. Get the puller on the primary gear, with a firm hold. Slowly tighten it over the course of a couple of minutes, tighten wait, tighten wait.... Then loosen it off and start again. I did this about 4 times and it eventually popped off while I was waiting. From here it's a simple job to change the seals.

Good luck

• Like 1

You've just discovered one of the hardest jobs on your bike.

The easy bit should be the flywheel nut. I found shocking it off worked the best. Get a long ratchet on there and hit the end down with a hammer. The fly wheel will move a little but the compression should hold it fairly still. It may take a few hits before the nut will crack.

The primary gear on my 348 took me months to get off. I went through about 4 different types of gear pullers, some broke and some were too big, so would just slip off.

I eventually bought a puller which worked, it cost about £25 from ebay and looked like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/zJ8AAOSwd4tUF4ZU/$_12.JPG.I know some people on here have made their own pullers, which have worked.

Brilliant advice thanks very much already stripped everything out bar that gear :-( soooo frustrating

Firstly I would say take the clutch basket off so you don't damage it's teeth. If you haven't ever removed this before, do it slowly as there are 3 metal dowels which hold it on the shaft, they may drop out so keep an eye out for them. Get the puller on the primary gear, with a firm hold. Slowly tighten it over the course of a couple of minutes, tighten wait, tighten wait.... Then loosen it off and start again. I did this about 4 times and it eventually popped off while I was waiting. From here it's a simple job to change the seals.

Good luck

Oh and one more thing, I think the nut on your motoplat flywheel will have to turn clockwise to loosen.

Did try clockwise with air ratchet first but wasn't sure it was clockwise tried your way with the lump hammer Bingo first hit !! God four pullers in the tool box but none fit think it's going to be one of those bikes

Hi i have been having the same trouble with a fast tickover and lean mix so be doing the Same job soon. I did a 348 and when pulling the cog i broke 3 pullers until it came off using a bigger dimension puller. Be aware when it comes off it can fly across the Room. Are you going to split the cases and do the main bearings.

Hi i have been having the same trouble with a fast tickover and lean mix so be doing the Same job soon. I did a 348 and when pulling the cog i broke 3 pullers until it came off using a bigger dimension puller. Be aware when it comes off it can fly across the Room. Are you going to split the cases and do the main bearings.

Hi still stuck fast !!! Tried heating with plumbers blowtorch while under tension , slacking and re tensioning now just put it to one side and slammed the garage door a couple times . The mains sound fine , in fact the engine is sweet just won't run without the choke and I don't think that side has ever been done , took the timing side apart last night after I got the correct puller from Mr Renham and now the seal retaining plate is stuck fast to the crankcase . So as I said slammed the garage door went to bed !!

Going to get up in a bit and the gear will be on the floor and the retaining plate just hanging there NOT !

Cheers for that will try the chain round the puller and foil on the crank today , then tapping the puller with the hammer . Wish mine came off with a tyre lever held with my knee !!!! Some people have all the luck :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got the same puller kit, which nits did you use to get the gear off with? 'Was it the silver straight gear ones or the black bearing ones? As I can't get the latter to fit around the gear?

Cheers

Sorry, my link didn't work. The gear puller looked like this.

$_12.JPG