Clutch Removal

manchester uk

Quick question on a 247 clutch removal? 

Currently in the process of replacing the crank seals flywheel is off so now 'intending' to remove the clutch to keep it out of harms way while I remove the primary gear. 

As it allegedly can be a bit of a sod to shift. 

Have flattened the tab washer and removed the nut and indeed the whole clutch is now loose but will not actually come off? 

Having looked at the parts book I can't see that anything else is holding it, but thought it a good idea to ask you wise people, is anything else holding it on???

I'm now off to shop for an industrial strength puller for the primary gear!!

Thanks in anticipation! 

G :-) 

In my experience the clutch basket usually comes off fairly easily with a straight pull. Never had to use a puller, just gentle leverage on opposite sides at same time.

Crank pinions can be very tight. I made a special two part fitting to insert under the pinion (puller claws would not fit). I then put a 3 leg hydraulic puller on my fitting.

OK clutch basket needed a big puller as it would not shift - but it was just tight not 'stuck'

Primary, sorry to be smug but it came off at my first attempt, but it was very tight; and not sure it would have come off first time had I not had all the various different bits of advice from you lot on Trials Central!

Used a 3 leg puller with the tips ground flat to fit in the gap behind, torqued it up till it gave a tuneful twang when tapped, got a electric heat gun on the gear and tapped the puller with a hammer,

Nothing happened so I wacked it a bit harder and the gear whistled off across the garage floor with a bang!   

Many thanks 

G :-) 

• Like 1