Gaerne Boot Soles Wearing Through

fivebrick

Sidi next time around, you wont be dissapointed.

My Sidi boots were uncomfortable from purchase,leaked badly and the soles wore quickly...

By comparison the Gaerne ones I now have were comfy from the start,remained waterproof for at least a year and the soles show little wear...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had to send back my 8 week old Gaerne Gortex boots back as one is leaking.

I'm a little annoyed that the supplier wants to 'see' them before sending out replacement boots. In my world that means they have an issue with this and are trying to look for excuses not to provide replacements. Will be two weeks at this rate without boots.

I also have to say that in my humble opinion these boots need a gear selector pad on them. The leather is very soft and looks terrible after only eight weeks, cracked, scratched. Apart from that and the leak they would otherwise be 10/10.

I ended up buying a new pair of boots. On the old ones I put some flex seal on and it appears to have mended the sole decently. I will give em a ride ands see if they hold up. Would be good to have a backup pair.

• 3 weeks later...

You can re sole them, but they need to be done properly. All the old glue must be removed with solvent then coat the boot and the new sole with impact adhesive, The everbuild brand from toolstation is close to what they actually use at the shoe repairers, Evo stick is not as good as it's too thick.

Let it dry then heat up the glue on the sole. Then place sole on boot and beat it with a hammer for a minute. The pros also use a press but the hammer will work as good, just takes longer.

My brother has been in the shoe trade for 35+ years and I used to have a Saturday job there as as teenager.

My Gaerne's have served me well for 4 years and have some life left in them just. I will buy them again as the Sidi and other brands with the plastic heel cap beat the hell out of the swingarm stickers!

• 2 months later...

Whenever I get a new pair of boots, I always glue a patch of inner tube in the arch area of the sole to protect the boot sole from footpegs.  I use contact cement and these last rather well.  When they get chewed up, heat the patch with a hair dryer, pull it off and replace. 

Whenever I get a new pair of boots, I always glue a patch of inner tube in the arch area of the sole to protect the boot sole from footpegs.  I use contact cement and these last rather well.  When they get chewed up, heat the patch with a hair dryer, pull it off and replace. 

Thats a great idea, never thought of that. Cheers.