This One Stumps Me.......

billyt

Been around trials for around 30 odd years now. Been asked all the usual question from lay people

and riders a like. Why is there no seat on the bike, how do you set the suspension, etc, etc all the usual  stuff that I am sure each of you have been asked.

Until yesterday I thought I could at least give an approximate answer to anything trials relate thrown at me.

Here is what stumped me  “why is there no “4” on the score card?

We can get a 0,1,2,3, and then a 5.

So why not a 0,1,2,3,4, and then 5?

Any ideas on how this came about and/or how would it change any trial if there was a “4” on the cards?

Edited by billyt

billy

I see you did not put the score zero in your post. There are some riders that do get the odd zero or clean score.

It used to be in the FIM world events that the possible scores were  0,1, 3, and 5 , maybe the powers that be are not fond of even numbers.

All trials were marked 0135 untill the 60's(?)

The principle was after 3 dabs as long as you rode non stop you avoided a five.

therefore it was to distinguish between a rider who got through a section as opposed to one that didnt, a 2 mark difference.

4 wouldnt encourage a push through enough as it would only save the one.

Thats how i think it was reasoned anyway.

All trials were marked 0135 untill the 60's(?)

The principle was after 3 dabs as long as you rode non stop you avoided a five.

therefore it was to distinguish between a rider who got through a section as opposed to one that didnt, a 2 mark difference.

4 wouldnt encourage a push through enough as it would only save the one.

Thats how i think it was reasoned anyway.

No, before that trials used to be marked in reverse. You started with a high score and got 10 for a clean, 0 for a failure and you subtracted your marks from the total, and whoever had the least at the end of the day would win.

Edited by faussy

No, before that trials used to be marked in reverse. You started with a high score and got 10 for a clean, 0 for a failure and you subtracted your marks from the total, and whoever had the least at the end of the day would win.

Never heard that before.

• Like 1

When was this method of marking in use. I have never heard of it in the UK.

Up to the early 60s. Was called marks gained rather than marks lost.

To the best of my knowledge that method of marking was used in Ireland.

Early post war marking was 3 for footing ( dab or paddle ) and 5 for a stop. 1 mark for a dab came in in the mid fifties and remained as 1, 3, 5 until early 70's,  73 ish when the 2 for two dabs came in.

Didn't make much difference to me when I started riding in Schoolboy events in 72 on a £15 D1 plunger Bantam as best I could hope for was a 3  :rolleyes:

Edited by rodt

To the best of my knowledge that method of marking was used in Ireland.

Early post war marking was 3 for footing ( dab or paddle ) and 5 for a stop. 1 mark for a dab came in in the mid fifties and remained as 1, 3, 5 until early 70's,  73 ish when the 2 for two dabs came in.

Didn't make much difference to me when I started riding in Schoolboy events in 72 on a £15 D1 plunger Bantam as best I could hope for was a 3  :rolleyes:

thought that was the case.