Where Do You Clean Your Bike

fatty

Hi all.

This may seem daft but I am about to have a gravel drive layed and don't really want be be washing my bike off on the drive as the gravel will end up full of mud and dirt.

Don't want to do it in the back garden as that will end a muddy mess.

Do any of you use the jetwash at a petrol station and if so do they ever complain?

Any suggestions please

Thanks fatty

Don't gravel your drive! I have 2 friends who have done it as it was cheaper and quicker than alternatives at the time. They now wish they had not. Its easy to loose nuts and other small bits in and it makes dust that walks into the house. It will also eventually clog with blown dirt, decaying leaves etc.

Take the time and expense to block pave it

• Like 1

Hey Fatty, why don't you move to North Queensland. Iv'e been riding here for past 3-4 years  and don't seem to get that mud problem. More like mud stains than mud buildup.  :lol: I suppose little/no rain may help.

What about spreading a sheet of thick builders plastic on the lawn then after hosing down the bike drag the mud, with bike removed, to a suitable place to dump it.

Cheers Taff

This may seem daft but I am about to have a gravel drive layed and don't really want be be washing my bike off on the drive as the gravel will end up full of mud and dirt.

How about on the road/street? I've had to stop washing my bike on the driveway as the dirt and debris are starting to clog up the drain in our driveway. I always clean my bike by hand using both a Enjo glove and a heavy duty tyre cleaning brush (plastic bristle) and that works a treat. It takes a bit longer but forces you to really look the bike over for any issue. 

Edited by jml

Most petrol stations around here let you use their jet wash ,not had a problem .Only downside is if you don't have a van and the roads are wet ,spray makes the bike dirty before you get it home

Plus one here for your gravel drive...a great security feature when combined with a pooch as they can hear the gravel crunching well before anyone uninvited gets to your property.

I built a large drain (easy to clear) and grille cover in my back garden for privacy, not so expensive when you total up a years worth of jet wash tokens.

• Like 1

hose pipe, car wash stuff and a bucket on a concrete driveway. Towel dry parts of the bike (I know haha), wd40. Pump the tyres up to around 30 psi so water doesn't collect in your rims. Remove flywheel cover, sometimes remove chain, pop up dust seals on forks. Every couple of trials remove brake pads and clean- squeak free braking. 

concrete driveways are easy to brush down and get mud free, at least in my experience. 

Thanks all for your replies.

The problem I have is this,  If I wash my bike in the back garden or on the drive down the side of my house our dog then walks dirt and water through the house.  As you can imagine that does not go down well !

As I like to give the bike a really good clean each time I always seem to create quite a mess so I think I will try the local petrol station until they complain.

Regards

Hey Fatty, why don't you move to North Queensland. Iv'e been riding here for past 3-4 years  and don't seem to get that mud problem. More like mud stains than mud buildup.  :lol: I suppose little/no rain may help.

What about spreading a sheet of thick builders plastic on the lawn then after hosing down the bike drag the mud, with bike removed, to a suitable place to dump it.

Cheers Taff

North QLD Yea nice,I was there last week, 3pm and the mossies move in and eat you alive - last thing I would worry about is a muddy trials bike... :)

I would definitely wash my rig in the backyard if I lived in the UK. Thefts are staggering and the thieves case the bikes somehow, probably by seeing the bikes being washed or transported. The carwash doesn't seem like a place to be, nor does the front driveway. Just saying...

I would definitely wash my rig in the backyard if I lived in the UK. Thefts are staggering and the thieves case the bikes somehow, probably by seeing the bikes being washed or transported. The carwash doesn't seem like a place to be, nor does the front driveway. Just saying...

Exactly Slick

Straight out the Van for me & around the back wher nobody can see & then I can wash at my leisure over a beer or cup of tea

Washed & straight into the garage out of sight for fettling

• 3 weeks later...

Where no one can see you is the best place.

If you use the jet wash at the petrol station and the bike(s) are really filthy they will usually complain and ask you not to come back as it blocks their drains (in my experience anyway). If you do use the petrol station (or if you have your bike on a trailer/ rack) try and take a wierd route home and watch out for anybody following you