1978 Cota 247 Left Hand Crank Cover

arfur

I am trying to check the crank seals but the two screws on the small cover on the left in the picture have been butchered. Does anyone know what is behind that cover? I am guessing another bolt for the main cover at the very least.

Thanks

Arfur

post-20499-0-00882800-1430767064_thumb.jpg

It is only a decorative cover but does hide fasteners you need to get at. The same butcher that mucked up those screws probably didn't over tighten them. If you do not have an impact driver try hammering a screwdriver as you twist it.That should get them out. 

• Like 1

Ah! I thought there would be some fixings behind there. I will give them a little gentle persuasion, failing that I'll drill them out. Then it looks like I get a nice little storage area....

Got the bolts out but the heads are knackered.

Hopefully have something at work that will fit.

I was assuming they would be special or rare bothfeetdown! Why would it be easy?

• Like 1

So now I can get the covers off I am looking at replacing the crank seals. I have searched for any instructions on this but have only found little bits and pieces. Has anyone got an advice before I start?

Hi G

Thanks for the info and the link to the post. I've ordered up new parts and got both cases off ready. Just need to rip it all apart.

The left hand side has been done at some point as there's lots of instant gasket around! Still going to try and get the flywheel and drive gear off again.

I have a couple of questions though.

What torque did you use to put the nuts back on again?

Did you take the clutch off? If so is as simple as undoing the nut and pulling it off the shaft?

Thanks

Arfur

• Like 1

Yes I took the clutch off as I wanted better access to the primary gear.

It's also a 'morse taper' type fit with key so once the nut is off some just need a bit of persuasion, I used a big 3 leg puller.

Torque settings I used to re fit were

Clutch - 14.5-18 ft.lbs

Ignition (LHT) - 87 ft.lbs

Flywheel - 58 ft.lbs

you may find this useful - most of it is the same as the my hard copy of the parts manual for the 247 (however its been translated to english) 

http://teflonmike.craywiki.co.uk/0_Lo_100_Library_005_Cota_Book.htm#ENGINE

Replaced the crank seals. Tuned up the carb and now when I twist the throttle the engine goes faster instead of dieing. Got a trial booked for next Sunday to see if it's any better. Happy days

Thanks for all your advice, especially G!

• Like 1