2014 250 Racing Front Wheel Removal

francley50

A slightly embarrasing question, this, but worth asking before I go and mess something up.

Can anyone tell me how the front wheel spindle comes out, please?

Is it: loosen the pinch bolts, undo the little cap on the disc-side, and then turn the spindle from the other side with a hex bit?

I don't have a 15mm (is it 15mm?) hex bit so haven't been able to try it for myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If it's the same as my 2013 txt pro then just undo the pinch bolts, two each side, undo the cap as you said and then it should just knock through, turning the spindle from the other side will just turn the spindle but not really do anything.

A slightly embarrasing question, this, but worth asking before I go and mess something up.

Can anyone tell me how the front wheel spindle comes out, please?

Is it: loosen the pinch bolts, undo the little cap on the disc-side, and then turn the spindle from the other side with a hex bit?

I don't have a 15mm (is it 15mm?) hex bit so haven't been able to try it for myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Find a large nut that fits into the axle and use a pair of Vice Grips to hold and you can twist it slightly to help it slide out.

Jon

Hi,

I got a bolt that had a head the right size about 150mm long and bent it so that the bolt acted like a handle for the bolt head, and that fits into the end of the axle. Holds the axle when tightening too.

Cheers Taff

Some older models used to have axels without a hex on the right side. Only a small alen key for the left side where there was a small ''plug''. Take that out some turns and hit with a rubber hammer would do fine.

The other fork I have does have a side where a big alen key can attach, but strange size. So I adapted a hex nut and welded a bold into it, so i can put a spanner on it.

Thanks for the advice, people.

I have managed to get the spindle out - there was some rust/corrosion between it and the disc-side wheel bearing inner race.

This caused just enough resistance to make me feel like I was going to do some damage if I hit it any harder harder.

Liberal use of some GT85, a bit of heat, and a clump with a hammer freed it off so I could then drift the spindle out.

So for anyone wondering the spindle should come out with the four pinch bolts loosened, the disc-side cap removed, and then you push/tap the spindle out.

Some copperslip (thanks, Jordi) should mean it'll come out easily next time.......