Norton Forks With Modern Internals

drake

Firstly who does this conversion?

Secondly what's involved. i read here that the stanchions are machined down. Why if it's 35mm into 35mm?

What's the bit about bondong/gluing them. I have basic engineering skills, so wondering why I can't do this myself?

Thanks

I think it is the sliders that are machined rather than the staunchions

The Norton sliders are machined to a larger ID

The modern sliders OD are machined down to fit inside the Norton sliders (and held there with glue)

many old men in sheds the length and breadth of the country do it.. like most things some better than others and some properly some not very well..

the use of new mazzochis will stop fairly quickly now that production has halted so all those old fantics will soon be missing thier legs as well as their top yokes

only a brave and skilled fella would attempt to do his own and he d have to have access to norton sliders.. find em if you can and dont ask the price.. then put them in a lathe and take metal from the bore to fit in the legs from your fantic forks that you have machined down to a couple of mm or thinner.. then put the two together

cant be hard.. so cant be that expensive can it..

Well I have some Roadholder sliders

After a bit of research, what I think that you do id machine down the Marzocchi sliders so that they fit tightly inside the Norton ones. Then bond them together. Mmmm

Seems easy enough :blush:

Try Alan Whitton,(01246 419805)it's not a job for the amateur or for the semi-pro for that matter, quite easy to end up with shiny scrap metal on the floor next to the lathe. He did a great job on mine, and many others no doubt

Can't get hold of him?

What I don't understand is if the Norton Stanchions are 35mm and the new bits are 35mm, then why turn down the new slider, wouldn't it be easier to just make new bushes or fit the new stanchions in to the Roadholder bottoms?

Norton are 1 3/8 " . The aim is to get the damping and seal arrangement of the more modern fork with the appearance of the old fork. Norton or AMC sliders are normally used as they are a bigger diameter than Triumph or BSA. The "easiest" way is too machine the OD of the more modern fork slider down so that it fits inside the Norton or AMC slider. There are people now casting new Norton style legs and others machining Triumph style legs from billet to take 35 mm stanchions,bushes, dampers and seals directly.

Edited by alan

Norton are 1 3/8 " . The aim is to get the damping and seal arrangement of the more modern fork with the appearance of the old fork. Norton or AMC sliders are normally used as they are a bigger diameter than Triumph or BSA. The "easiest" way is too machine the OD of the more modern fork slider down so that it fits inside the Norton or AMC slider. There are people now casting new Norton style legs and others machining Triumph style legs from billet to take 35 mm stanchions, dampers and seals directly.

New stanchions are quite a bit longer than Norton ones, alloy extensions are used where the old chrome fork seal holders would go.

Alan probably couldn't hear over the noise of lathes, millers etc but I'd persist, he's 'the man'

Edited by davetom

It's Alan who had the new fork sliders on his stand at Telford and they can be had with different size bushes to take different diameter stanchions. Looked very nice and very reasonably priced as far as I know. Much better solution than ruining two pairs of forks just to make one. As mentioned above, you just fit your stanchions straight in.

Edited by woody
  • Like 2

Hi Guy's,

Why????    Why????    Why????     OH. Why?????????

Is the world now gone mad????

Forks are forks and do the job on the front end.

So do all the modern rear shocks have to look like "Girlings"????????????

Charlie.  Not amused. "Britshocks" for ever!!!!

• Like 2