Superstars Trial Old Videos

dadof2

Above link should show one video and lead on to a second.

Yeadon & Guisely club are running a superstars trial week after Penrith WTC.

I am posting these old videos for several reasons.

Heavy bikes no bar to enjoyment of sport

50 riders on same WTC level course

Winner on over 70 marks yet as far as I know no one complained or was injured

Somehow trials needs to get back to (or at least some way nearer) this type of event / sections even if the winner only looses a few marks.

• Like 1

Unless you have a time warp machine your idea will never happen.

Having turned up at a trial with a well fettled bultaco only to find that the points didnt fancy a day out Im guessing you are in a minority of wanting twinshocks drum brakes and points.

Let me explain in case you're blinkers are still on, lads starting out now can do no more (other than the bikes are sooo much better) than they could in the 70's.

The standard of Bou raga et al is significantly better than the also rans at wtc. Our best in the uk is 5/6th in the world and hes head and shoulders above others in BTC. The best half dozen in this country probably could get round a wtc but would likely be very near maximum, look at jack shepards scores (at least hes trying) in recent wtc's. You question should be why are our countrys top ten not competing, not suggesting a twinshock solution.

You cant turn the clock back

• Like 1

Having turned up at a trial with a well fettled bultaco only to find that the points didnt fancy a day out Im guessing you are in a minority of wanting twinshocks drum brakes and points.

Let me explain in case you're blinkers are still on, lads starting out now can do no more (other than the bikes are sooo much better) than they could in the 70's.

The standard of Bou raga et al is significantly better than the also rans at wtc. Our best in the uk is 5/6th in the world and hes head and shoulders above others in BTC. The best half dozen in this country probably could get round a wtc but would likely be very near maximum, look at jack shepards scores (at least hes trying) in recent wtc's. You question should be why are our countrys top ten not competing, not suggesting a twinshock solution.

Still a good video though :hyper:

I couldn't DISAGREE more with everything in this post if it was possible. 

The original poster was hypothesising the return to that level of trials, not a return to those exact bikes. If you are blaming a points ignition system (the simplest of igntion systems!!) for an ill running bike, then it is anything but a well fettled bike.

You also seem to lack the understanding that when the overall difficulty of a trial drops, the riders scores will concertina. Why do you struggle to understand this?

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Well, that's him told!

I suppose the relevant question may be, if the trial was run in 2015 with exactly the same sections, what score would Dabill/Brown manage? Half the 1970s winning total? Surely. Less than 10? Clean?

• Like 1

Clean. I was there at the superstars in Pately bridge was it 77? Not saying that was the video but a few of the sections were very similar to the Yorkshire centre trial i rode yesterday, things really have moved on that much.

there was an SWM there though, just the one.

I couldn't DISAGREE more with everything in this post if it was possible. 

The original poster was hypothesising the return to that level of trials, not a return to those exact bikes. If you are blaming a points ignition system (the simplest of igntion systems!!) for an ill running bike, then it is anything but a well fettled bike.

You also seem to lack the understanding that when the overall difficulty of a trial drops, the riders scores will concertina. Why do you struggle to understand this?

If you disagree then be more specific with what and why, it would be nice to debate points rather than say I disagree?

I can assure you that fettling a bultaco well was never a guarantee the points would always be 100% reliable, unless you know different?

Yes i stand corrected that he was suggesting a return to this level of trials but would many superstars turn up to lose 1 or 2?

I dont struggle to see that difficulty drops scores will be closer together who said otherwise?

Well, that's him told!

I suppose the relevant question may be, if the trial was run in 2015 with exactly the same sections, what score would Dabill/Brown manage? Half the 1970s winning total? Surely. Less than 10? Clean?

Me told what? Brown cant walk so im sure he'd drop a few.

"nigel dabster" post=

"Brown cant walk so im sure he'd drop a few."

Exactly why I said "in 2015" rather than "now". I wish him well and bet he'll be back before the end of the year as good as ever.

Edited by cleanorbust

As long as you have the sound off and don't have to listen to that pervert Stuart Hall.

Indeed Perce

It did make me cringe

Another childhood illusion shattered along with a good few more, sadly

I thought the 1970's were a carefree happy time, riding schoolboy trials & watching Rolf & Hall on TV

Sadly only Trials was the wholesome bit

Edited by johnnyboxer

"So which of the top 10 in the world were in scotland (dibs excepted)?"

Fair enough. I was referring to our domestic top-liners as related to my previous post. Still, let's not fall out over it.

As for the world superstars, I dare say they'd turn up wherever they're paid to whether they like the trial or not.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

Thank you faussy for #4, an accurate representation of my post.

Just to put N Dabster right (not infrequently required) I do not favour return to twinshocks or points ignition. I favour a bike with disc brakes and monoshock. I am generally in favour of liquid cooling and electronic ignition but quite good arguments can be put forward for air cooling and points ignition. What I do favour is a bit more weight, perhaps limits on suspension travel and other developments that increase costs and make the bikes too capable resulting in dangerous sections.

Truly amazing - I do agree with the last 9 words of NDs previous post

Edited by dadof2