Em Chris Pearson 7Th Expert At St Davids British Championship Round

borus

Anyone know if Chris will be riding it at the Allan S3 round?

Electric vehicles can have benefits but I do wish the makers / suppliers would not make incorrect claims such as no pollution or no fire risk. The mining of battery and motor components produce some rather nasty pollutants and environmental damage, electricity does pollute, just not a the bike and electronics and motors do occasionally catch fire.

My guess is the price is too high to make them popular and that replacement battery (costs) could be an issue. Most electric car manufacturers have resorted to leasing the batteries.

No noise and smell will definitely be an advantage in some areas. Even though petrol engined trials bikes are not really a problem they are at times perceived as such.

I wonder if they could be given a legally compliant power setting that enables them to be ridden on road by 16 year olds, same as 50cc scooters.

I takes a couple of hours to start to get the real feel of the bike, 5 minute test ride is ok but I've seen quite a transformation with riders once they get some time on the bike. They are not a replacement for gas bikes but they are a sound viable alternative. 

• 7 months later...

Never.

:-)

you didn't answer .. so im guessing that don't like the sport as much as much as you like being a piston head, but thats ok there is a lot of people that share the same views, which is a shame as it will not allow the sport to become more available to more people in the long run with more places to ride ( local and inner city ). 

• Like 2

My sport involves a petrol engine.Im happy with that.

If it requires maintaining then so be it, at least I can ride all day in the yorkshire hills and not worry about a flat battery.

The sport has been my passion since 1973.

Do not assume a simple question with 2 alternatives requires a simple answer as our sport is open to all on any machine.

My trials has to include a petrol engine, until an electric can perform the same way, for as long.

Expense is not a factor if the bike doesnt do what i currently can?

• Like 1

`Someone link/embed this please who knows what they are doing.[ Electric trial bike championnat de France de trial Breal]....yes its YouTube my favourite.

Just copy the address of the page and paste it directly in the reply.

Like this:

Much as I like the wee Oset my lad has it can;t manage anything like a regular club trial on two sets of regular batteries.(8 batteries)

I know it's easy to use and low maintenance nice and quiet and can go loads of places I wouldn't dream of taking a petrol bike.

This is fine but my Scorpa 175F would get round the whole trial on a litre of fuel  costing about a £1 probably costs me more to charge the 2 sets of batteries on the Oset.

Ok no doubt the high spec batteries are better and things will progress given time.

My sport involves a petrol engine.Im happy with that.

If it requires maintaining then so be it, at least I can ride all day in the yorkshire hills and not worry about a flat battery.

The sport has been my passion since 1973.

Do not assume a simple question with 2 alternatives requires a simple answer as our sport is open to all on any machine.

My trials has to include a petrol engine, until an electric can perform the same way, for as long.

Expense is not a factor if the bike doesnt do what i currently can?

You must be very lucky having a back yard ( yorkshire hills ) you can just ride your bike out your front gate and straight upto the hills.. we all don't have that privilege.. you need a car and trailer at least to transport a motorcycle  .. some don't have that luxury, if kids want to get into the sport then they need to rely on there parents this is not always practical also not everyone has storage space for a trailer.. there are lots and lots of bmx tracks ( wastland ) all within walking ( pushing ) distance  in built up areas  that can be used if there was enough demand for it .   Of course there is a simple answer you can give , you either promote the sport by any means ( with a passion ) or you  don't . I think you may have breathed in to much 2 stroke since the sport became your passion   

electric can out perform gas .. this is fact, but at the moment there is still the compromise of performance and run time .. and as battery's become smaller, lighter and more capacity ( and this is happening at a much fast rate than petrol engines took to develop to what they are now ) the performance is already there just waiting to be unleashed.

so you can ride all day  without fear of a flat battery, but I guess you do take a jerry can so you can refill or have do you have a larger tank on your bike and just know when you have to turn around so you don't run out of petrol ? 

some older people just dont like things to change because they don't fully understand the technology  or they just don't see the much bigger picture. 

the cost to charge 8x 8ah sla cost around £0.02p  .. :-) 

Edited by gwhy
  • Like 1

As for the EM battery, the standard battery will last an entire trial of medium length. If you have a power source available the 15 amp chargers charger from 0 to 80 % in about 30 minutes. So a lunch time 15 minute top up is very doable if required

As for cost savings, fuel, oil changes, filters, plugs, clutch plates, motor refresh and what ever else is the difference. I leave you to figure the exact savings.

Cost about 10 cents to charge an EM battery.to full 

EM has very good results now in trials against gas bikes. 

I can perform everything on the EM  that I can do on a gas bike, I am an intermediate / advanced rider. 

The EM has an optional map box of 4 power levels which welcomes riders of every level. 

Most important, try one before assuming anything, give yourself more than 5 minutes on it because it does take a little time to adjust your timing. No mechanical clutch, no flywheel and no motor sound are influencing the key changes to your riding style. 

Oset and EM are very different bikes. 

cheers

• Like 2