Help Do I Get A Four Stroke?

bultaco 199

Hi Chaps,

I have a twin shock Bultaco 199b that I have totally restored, my son and I have practiced on it most days (lack of work) and a lot of enthusiasm

as we are new to this world. From the start, my son is very good so I thought I would upgrade to a newer bike.

I would love a four stroke, can you guys give me advice? Will this work for my son and me to have fun on? And maybe for him to compete on? Also can you tell me the pros and cons?  

Many thanks. Martin   

Edited by bultaco 199

Answer: a 4 stroke will do

A 2 stroke will do aswell.

Both can be competitive. Question depends so much on what brand you want to buy etc. 2 strokes dont have a lot of cons with trial, which they might have with MX or other bikes.

Riding style is different, try it and see if it pleases

Edited by crazybond700

It's quite normal that most of the youth drivers are better in trials than her parents, made the experience myself.... 

My son had both for years, modern and twinshock trials, now ( nearly 17 ) he prefers classic trials and we sold the sherco.

He still enjoys modern driving style in combination with Classic, to give him more performance we bought a TLR250 for him, which suits for both... 

If you prefer a 4-Stroke, buy one for you, let your son make some test rides on different modern bikes ( from friends or a trials bike dealer ) and choose what suits him, one bike for two driver is no good solution... 

• 1 year later...

I have a Beta 250 4T and all my mates have 2t. personally I like it a lot,not just because i own one.my "style" is more flowing and i think it's good for this,I haven't tried firing at stuff as I am getting over an injury but my better rider friends seem to have no trouble doing it on my 4T..there's a lot of mud in Kent,less rocks and I think it grips better,the style is different,it looks like with a 2T you accerlerate hard up a slope then throttle off and let the bike carry you over,with the 4T if you do that there is more engine braking so you need to maintain the throttle to prevent the bike slowing and front digging in,once i got that it is great,the 250 has plenty of mellow power.,

• Like 1