Looking Buy A Gas Gas

toshy

Hi, I am looking to replace my old scorpa with a gas gas. There are a few 280 for sale in my area. Are any of the years better than others? I am looking at 2009-2010-2011. Any thing that I should look for? Common gas gas problems?

Thanks

That year of bike should be fine, anything pre 09 id stay away from. 09-10-11-12 are for the large part identical. The main thing to check would be the clutch, does it clear properly with no drag? Can you get all the gears, even up to 5th and 6th? Theres a selector that can bend. Check the wear in the suspension dog bones (specific to all makes bar your scorpa) if you can, by unloading the rear wheel. Anything greater than 10mm play these will probably need replacing ~70quid. Check the tail pipe isnt worn through from the rear tyre.

If its a raga (magnesium casings) and maybe even check on the standard model that the bottom engine casing mount isnt broken. 

Check for any cracks in the frame.

Most of these are unlikely but as they say forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by faussy

When 280's are the only ones you can find it's easy to lower the compression or ad a flywheel weight to tame them a bit.

I'm a intermediate rider at most and had a 2012 280 with lower compression and a slow throttle and I never got in trouble or out of control with it.
I sold it to a novice and he is very pleased with the bike.
Edited by guys

As said you'l find the 280 is alot more snappy than a 300 which id say is more a clubman bike if set up right.

Like already posted easy to tame though if thats all thats available. Fly wheel weight. Slow throttle. Head inserts on the newer models. Etc.

Unless you're open to centre champion contender or better ,a 250 is plenty.A fair number of the bigger bikes have had owners of that status and had a hard time .Better to wait a bit and get the right bike,most of us have bought the wrong one at some time and regretted it

• Like 1

I would also avoid a 2008 bike if it has the Sachs front forks fitted , there was a choice that year as to wether you had marzocchi or Sachs and the Sachs where horrendous

• Like 1