1976 Kawasaki Kt250.

motolimes

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need some help. I'm fixing up a 1976 Kawasaki kt250, and the lights are burning out. I figured it would be a voltage regulator, but I'm not sure where, or if, it even has one. If I could just get some help from people who know more than me, that would be great.

Blowing bulbs was pretty commonplace at the time they were new. Yes they did not come with a voltage regulator so the voltage goes up and down with RPM.

A simple way to avoid blowing bulbs is to fit 12V (or 24V) bulbs instead of 6V but they will not be as bright.

Another option is to fit a ballast resistor in series with the lights to drop the voltage.

Another option is to fit a rectifier and battery to stabilise the voltage.

Another option is to fit a voltage regulator. The one I use on an SP370 that I ride without a battery is from a 1980s Husqvarna and it limits the voltage to about 13V so is perfect for 12V bulbs.

Is the sp 6 volt ?

Mine is an Australian SP370 and I'm pretty sure it was 6V, but the lighting circuit went to about 18V during normal riding without a battery. I only rode it with a battery until the motor was run in, then it morphed into an enduro bike using RM250C parts

• Like 1

re your kt over the years i have fitted a small wire wound resistot on various off road lighting set ups , the one i use is from one of the small hondas, costs about £12 and is easy to fit having just one wire , i will be back in my workshop on thur and can sort one out if you wish (complete with a simple wiring diagram) pm me if this is any help, will.