4Rt Spark Plug

martyd

Is there a better plug than the std ngk for the 4rt?

Iridium or the like?

Cheers

On initial start up do not touch the throttle until the fan kicks in, I've no idea why this works but the only time I've fouled  plug on a 4rt since 2008 is when someone gave the throttle a brapp!!!!! whilst it was warming up. If you're fouling plugs this do the trick if not then you'd possibly not notice a difference with an Iridium plug? 

Edited by the addict

The blipping the throttle when not warm never did any harm on my 2 4RT's. Probably only an issue some bikes.

If you compare the characteristics from a standard NGK plug to an Iridium one on the NGK website, I know that I'll be using the Iridium next time.

• Like 1

Its something I was told when I got my first so stuck with it, and I do have mates that ride off straightaway but I've always preferred not to take a chance as rushing to get off riding isn't an issue.

Edited by the addict

An iridium plug will nearly always improve both starting and running.

It is best to ride the bike as soon as you start it but only gently until its fully warmed up.

Leaving it ticking over to warm up takes a long time with an over rich mixture and can soot up the engine and plug

Riding it too hard when cold can cause harm as clearances will not be correct and oil will not be circulating properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies

Easy started cold just a bit of s bugger yo start hot

Marty

Hi Marty maybe not the plug? I have always used standard and like Dadof2 have always ridden away steadily until warm.

The times mine have been difficult to start when hot (assumming that you are out of gear or have no clutch drag at all)

it has been either too low an idle setting or slightly tight valve clearance.

I have found it necessary to set valves exactly at the standard setting. Even at the tight end of the .02 range in the manual, it seems to have an effect on hot starting.

Hi Marty maybe not the plug? I have always used standard and like Dadof2 have always ridden away steadily until warm.

The times mine have been difficult to start when hot (assumming that you are out of gear or have no clutch drag at all)

it has been either too low an idle setting or slightly tight valve clearance.

I have found it necessary to set valves exactly at the standard setting. Even at the tight end of the .02 range in the manual, it seems to have an effect on hot starting.

Never thought about the valve clearance

I havent checked it since fitting the 280 kit

Must do that later

Many thanks

Marty 

Since the issue of valve clearance has been raised I will add my thoughts. I would generally advise setting valve clearances on the slack side, up to 0.002" greater than manufacturers spec.

It usually gives better idle, better starting and better fuel consumption. It can make the engine very slightly noisier (but not as much as a lot of other factors) and in theory there may be a slight loss of top end power.

Try it and see.

• Like 1

Do you know why?

• Fine Wire Center Electrode Ensures High Durability and a Consistently Stable Spark

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6x harder and 8x stronger than platinum, has a melting point 1,200°(F) higher, and conducts electricity better.

For many years, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life and performance plugs due to its high melting point.  However, increasingly strenuous engine conditions, and the creation of smaller electrodes and longer life plugs requires harder and stronger metals.  The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium makes it very well suited for a fine wire plug and for ultra long life spark plugs.

Though better than platinum, it is very expensive, and at higher temperatures it oxidizes, thus rendering pure iridium as an expensively poor choice for spark plug construction. However, when properly blended with other precious metals such as Yttria, Rhodium or Platinum, you can enhance their advantages with the superior strength and hardness of Iridium.

Almost all manufacturers have their own version of an iridium spark plug. Do not be fooled, iridium plugs were not created equal.  Iridium content varies.  Some of the lower priced iridium plugs have just enough iridium content so they can be marketed as iridium plugs. They likely will not perform or last as long as the plugs with a higher iridium content.

• Like 1