Is This Bernie Schreibers 1983 Swm ?

gasgas249uk

This 1983 SWM TL320 was located in California recently 

Many enquiries have been made to discover whether this is Bernie Schreiber's actual bike and the one featured in his observed Trials book.

What do you think ??

http://www.retrotrials.com/a-special-report-on-very-probably-bernie-schreibers-1981-swm-tl320-trials-bike.html

10805034_10204538445316365_450485814_n%2

http://www.retrotrials.com/a-special-report-on-very-probably-bernie-schreibers-1981-swm-tl320-trials-bike.html

• Like 3

I hope it is Bernies bike . another lost relic come home ... 

And as I start to tear apart my unique 83 240 pro , I hope I can find out what it was / is ... I've got a few interesting leads ...

But I think Bernie would have to ride / spend some time with it to know for sure . Are there any #'s anywhere that can help ?

A sit down with the old neighbor might help ....Too ?

Glenn

• Like 1

At the USA World round in 2013 I brought up the 1974 Ute Cup to Bernie. His face lit right up and we had quite a conversation. Not all things are lost to age. Nice find to someone that loves the brand.   

• Like 1

I can't see anybody else going to the time and trouble of making all of those modifications really, if it was a fresh rebuild and they were broadcasting far and wide that it was his bike then I would be a little more skeptical. As it stands it has convinced me.

Has Martin had a chance to ride it and compare it to a standard bike?

I hope the bike will get a mechanic overhaul so it runs again very well but the patina beside corrosion and rust is left as it is,

no bling repaint or replacement of damaged plastic, a repair if necessary ...  and so one. no trick parts ... we have already

so many bikes where less then 50% is original and the remaining rest pimpend stuff. The overall state of the bike is so good.

Other personal remarks:

- a perfect find,

- thanks for showing the bike,

- and I did look up the book and this photos here, it is the same bike in my personal view!

Hi, thanks for all the comments.

Since taking the photos in James report, the project has moved on.

When the bike arrived it was seized solid on the kickstart. I pulled the motor apart and found that the oil had started to solidify and was enough to jam up the kickstart. I took the entire motor apart, spent hours on the parts washer and rebuilt it with all new bearings and seals. It has had new throttle and clutch cables, new plug, chain and fresh fuel and oil.

Apart from a bit more of a clean up it has remained untouched and will stay that way.....even down to the very cracked original Michelins

It gets a ride around the field most weeks and handles a runs great.

Will it ever get ridden again in a trial ?? .......well that's up to Bernie. :)

Martin

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...