Alpina As Trials Revisited.

tdbecker58

Hi all, I found this forum while searching for information about Bultaco Alpinas.  I have a chance to purchase a '74 350 Alpina 116.  I had one of these back in the 70's and am really thinking about buying it.  The problem is that I will have to sell my 1972 Honda TL 125 to make room for it. 

I'm just a new fan of trials and don't have many opportunities to compete.  I read a thread on this site from a few years back and wondered if anyone had a new ideas/opinions about the alpine as a amateur trials bike? 

Thanks for any advice.

I think the gearing would be to long, but a larger rear (and smaller front?) sprocket might help a bit.

Also the engine is probably tuned for power at higher revs.

The geometry of the frame might also be set up for higher speed instead of sharp turning at low speed.

But I'm sure the ones here who know their Bultaco stuff, will be able to help you better.

Yes the TL was awful. (All of them) But he has one and not ridden trials. The Alpina does not turn. Unless the sections are straight through. He should take the TL to an event and try. And if he just has to have a Bultaco, make it a Sherpa T. Most everyone loves the Buls (Very eye appealing) till they ride one.