A Dmw - Is It British?

laird387

Hi,

Just to keep the kettle boiling, as it were, here's a DMW from the Offroad Archive, showing Keith Wells, who we first saw many moons ago competing in the very early days of the Sammy Miller series, when he lived in the midlands.  Now he is, we believe, retired to Austria, but visits regularly for the classic trials, seen here by Jack Knoops in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish trial - and don't forget we are running a feature exploring the First Thirty Years of the Pre-65 Scottish in ORRe.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-45374900-1434045428_thumb.jpg

Keith still lives in the Midlands and still competes regularly in Miller series etc

That DMW he's riding, I'm pretty sure, is the same bike that Bill Price is pictured on at the start of this topic

Could almost be the same section...

Hi Deryk, nice picture of my brummie mate Keith. Yes Woody is right,Keith still lives in Brum but has a chalet in Austria where he spends 5 months of the year. The rigid DMW that Keith rode for 4 or 5 years is owned by Bill Price. It's a rigid with most of the frame made with square tube. Still the original forks. Bills son has it at the moment to make it look as it was.

Regards Dave.

Hi Deryk, nice picture of my brummie mate Keith. Yes Woody is right,Keith still lives in Brum but has a chalet in Austria where he spends 5 months of the year. The rigid DMW that Keith rode for 4 or 5 years is owned by Bill Price. It's a rigid with most of the frame made with square tube. Still the original forks. Bills son has it at the moment to make it look as it was.

Regards Dave.

Hi Dave,

Bill and Mac Price are old friends of mine - indeed they are featured in a recent ORRe fully illustrated article with the story of their DMW's as well as their Austin cars and a Whippet - we used to meet regularly when I created the British Bike Championship that developed into the Sammy Miller series, (I coordinated every event for the first ten years).

I have a vague memory that Keith first rode in the Sammy Miller series in the Trail bikes section.................

Cheers

Deryk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Way back in this thread mention was made of a DMW trials bike with a pressed steel frame - well, courtesy of the Offroad Archive, there is a photograph of just such a bike in action ridden by Richard Partridge in a Yeo Vale trial in the 1960's in ORRe-25 - due to go on-line within the next week or so............

Enjoy

as a newbie trials ride but avid British Motor Cyle Industry buff I'd like to stick my two penna-worth in!  

DMW

probably the largest manufacturer in the UK never to have had a history book written about them.  even DOT got a booklet!  

I went over to the Manx GP two years ago and stayed at the Glen Mona Hotel in well.....Glen Mona! On the Thursday I was introduced to the chef who is now in her 80's and walks 5-10 miles per day.  she spoke with a thick brummie accent and it turned out to be Dawson's daughter.  

she said that in public the small factories were all meant to be rivals but behind the scenes they got on well and discussed things a lot.  her dad ran the business with her and her brother.  she went to the ISDT in '65 and fell in love with someone over on the Island.  she told dad she was upping sticks and going to leave.  at the same time father had a heart attack and when he felt better they lost the Villiers engines due to Dennis "p***" Poore the pillock and Dawson completely lost heart.  

apparently her brother also lives over there now but they don't speak.  

someone needs to get what her and her brother have to say down on paper before it's too late and they are gone for good....

regards

Taffy

Edited by taffmeister

• 3 months later...

hi, my name is kyran i have just purchased and DMW from 1951 (with the original registration book) yes its old its a 197cc DE luxe i believe its in a mess but am looking to restore it however the problem is i cannot find any information about the original paint jobs they had i know the color of the bike was black with a silver frame as i managed to track the original owner from 1951 down from the registration book i was wondering if any one had any pics of this bike in any color from different angles just so i know what bits are due to be. many thanks kyran

they lost the Villiers engines 

I'm surprised by this comment! I know DMW continued making the Villiers Starmaker engine under license after Villiers stop production of that engine so they could continue to build the Hornet race bike. 

hi, my name is kyran i have just purchased and DMW from 1951 (with the original registration book) yes its old its a 197cc DE luxe i believe its in a mess but am looking to restore it however the problem is i cannot find any information about the original paint jobs they had i know the color of the bike was black with a silver frame as i managed to track the original owner from 1951 down from the registration book i was wondering if any one had any pics of this bike in any color from different angles just so i know what bits are due to be. many thanks kyran

Hi Kyran,

Sadly I cannot guarantee the colour of your bike, but I can tell you that I do remember the DMWs quite well because I was strongly considering buying one in my youth so was busily devouring every scrap of information I could find - however, more to the point, here is an image from the SSDT in 1962 depicting W D Innes (who was effectively a factory rider - along with the creator of the bike, Mike Riley) and in May of 1962 would be riding the bike introduced for the Olympia Show in Autumn 1951.

As you can see, the frame was grey or silver, depends which paint manufacturer you choose............

In one of the other posts it is noted that DMW haven't as yet merited a 'book' and, as one of the perpitrators who assisted in the creation of the DOT booklet referred to, as well as several other manufacturer booklets I can only tell you that such creations exist because involved amateurs set themselves the task of doing it for the record.

I can no longer afford - from my pension - to have books or magazines printed, but the story of the DMW - as well as various other models - has been told in my digital magazine 'ORRe' which is exclusively available from this website for the meagre sum of £12 - for which you not only get over 2500 pages of information about classic motorcycle sport but also totally free access to an archive of images.

However, enjoy the image of the DMW.

post-19290-0-13306300-1446286325_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

• 2 months later...