2016 Cota Rr

jj65

My guess is the home market in Spain has seen enough of an upturn for the swansong 4rt race replica to be produced. This will be a bigger motor maybe with crankcase changes to allow a full 300cc and mapable switching like works bikes.

Expect to pay close to 10k.

You heard it here first..............

• Like 1

Looks great and I wouldn't mind one myself, but the marketing people at Montesa should be shot.

Standard model - no bling, fair enough

Race Replica, Repsol, 260, decal kit, Showa, DID and carbon guards, ok

And now,

Race Ready - alloy tech forks, Showa rear, billet 7075 T6 alloy hubs, dual map TB, 288cc, carbon bits, DID rims etc

Shouldn't the Race Rep (Repsol), as a replica of Bou's championship winning bike, have all that as well. And then there's the fact of no price available at launch and the fact of (probably the biggest trials website/forums) not being involved in the launch, so no photos and no details etc, etc.

I don't want to negative, as atleast their still there making bikes, but their marketing is all a bit confusing and I think they have missed a great opputunity to combine Fuji's 20 years in WTC and the RR.

• Like 2

I would not call this bike the "flagship model". To me it is an in-between model similar to what Gas Gas did with the "Racing". That bike sat halfway between the standard pro and the Raga Replica. It had some but not all of the Raga trick bits and was priced accordingly. The Cota RR appears to be the same thinking - it's got some of the Repsol stuff (rear shock, carbon bits, bars, front brake caliper) but got the cheaper Tech forks as opposed to the excellent Showa units.

The 288cc engine is a nice touch but I'm guessing that will end up on the other bikes too.

Also, if the RR ("Race Ready" according to the factory press) was to be the flagship model, I would have expected Toni Bou to be riding a red and black bike this weekend in France to coincide with the big launch but he was still on the Repsol orange bike.

Price wise, it should sit between the existing models. If they try to charge twice the price, I think it will be a bit slow to sell.

Chris.

• Like 1

There is nothing 2nd rate about the Tech forks with aluminum tubes, which are also used on the Gas Gas Factory Replica. Much better than the "regular" Tech forks, like used on the standard Shercos. Haven't ridden the Showas in several years now, but I don't think they will be better than the forks on the 300RR (if the Tech forks are similar to the forks on my factory replica, that is)... and the aluminum Tech forks are certainly lighter. Performance-wise, the 300RR will definitely be a step above the Repsol replica... which doesn't make sense to me, either.

Edited by motomofo1

Some riders prefer the Tech fork and R16V shock of the standard Cota. The guy from TRP even told me they "copied" his suspension because it had the same characteristics..

The factory team is sponsored by Repsol so it's only normal that Bou's bike is in those colors.

Who knows, maybe next years "Repsol" will have the same upgrades as the 300RR.

Also seems like they finally got rid of the heavy steel fuel tank base and replaced it with an aluminium one.

I would not call this bike the "flagship model". To me it is an in-between model similar to what Gas Gas did with the "Racing". That bike sat halfway between the standard pro and the Raga Replica. It had some but not all of the Raga trick bits and was priced accordingly. The Cota RR appears to be the same thinking - it's got some of the Repsol stuff (rear shock, carbon bits, bars, front brake caliper) but got the cheaper Tech forks as opposed to the excellent Showa units.

The 288cc engine is a nice touch but I'm guessing that will end up on the other bikes too.

Also, if the RR ("Race Ready" according to the factory press) was to be the flagship model, I would have expected Toni Bou to be riding a red and black bike this weekend in France to coincide with the big launch but he was still on the Repsol orange bike.

Price wise, it should sit between the existing models. If they try to charge twice the price, I think it will be a bit slow to sell.

Chris.

The 300RR engine is based on the customer factory bikes of Eddie Karlsson and Oriol Nuguera and possibly, so is the rear showa and tech fork. After reading the press release on Sunday, I would have thought that Eddie and Oriol would have been on new 300RR's (plus all the factory parts they have).

I agree Montesa have very confused branding in what is now a three model line-up.

• 4RT 260 is the entry model
  • Race Replica is the middle bike
  • 300RR is the top model

The factory HRC team riders have a bike that looks like the mid-level customer one (but we all now it's very trick)

The Montesa supported riders such as Karlsson ride the top model that is disguised to look like the entry model customers can buy

One thing I would like to see is Montesa and indeed others, offering the chance to configure a bike as we can do when buying a new car, a van or a bicycle. For example, I might like the chassis mods & the weight saving of the "RR" but without the extra engine power. Or I might like an "RR" styled like the HRC Repsol bikes, why can't I specify that? Surely at the low volumes and hand assembly of these bikes such customer configuration to order could be easily achieved.

• Like 1

You can buy a set of plastics and swap :P

Furthermore the word replica means it looks like the one they race with, which is correct, in repsol collors. It says nothing about quality, performance or anything perce.

I must say both repsol and the new RR look awesome, while I think the normal one does look a bit boring always, not as sharp or agressive as the 2 strokes of other brands.

Edited by crazybond700