Frame Damage On 2015 Factory.

popty bing

I've noticed on my 2015 Factory that the yolks on the forks have marked the frame downtubes in a crash situation as the standard bumpstops are rubbish!

I have made the following homebrew bumpstops:

post-18759-0-08485000-1434230225_thumb.jpg

from some 20mm plastic conduit that I cut into 50mm long pieces then sliced lengthways,

post-18759-0-33073100-1434230375_thumb.jpg

and then applied some mastic and clipped them onto the frame.

Must admit I stole this idea from someone at Penrith today!

Hope this is of some use to others.

• Like 1

Well, I've used them in anger today.... well and truly threw the bike away and the yokes smacked the frame protector big time! In fact within 5 minutes of starting riding with new grips and new rim stickers on.  Had to happen.....

There was a large impact mark on the conduit, and a corresponding mark in the paint on the down tube when I removed the conduit.  I hate to think how big a dent there would have been without them.

I know they are not a perfect solution for what is really poor design, but better than nothing, and definitely better than relying on the factory version...

This happens because the edge of the bottom yoke is thin where it hits the stop. Had this happen on my 11 bike, I'm not sure if the standard yokes are different but the Factory ones do a good job of denting the frame.

If the frame tubes are slightly crushed, your frame is severely weakened and will be sure to start cracking the gusset plate very soon. 

I suggest making two half round, heavy gauge, plates and have them welded to the frame, This will put strength back in the affected area and reduce the chances of it happening again. A plastic tube will not provide enough protection although it will protect the paint on the frame.

Edited by steve_earle

It's called the racing NOT factory, it has all the bling of the factory but with a standard engine in & different forks & rear shock compared to the factory.......probably a way of using up all the spares, I tried to order a standard & a factory 300 last week only to be told sherco are not making any more as they are concentrating on the 2016 model BUT they are bringing out a racing model as shown on the front page.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that is scary stuff. I noticed mine had paint chips after the 1st ride and made some nasty comments about it on another forum, I had no idea this could happen though. 

And this wasn't from any rough riding or crashing. Just a simple easy 1st trail ride.

DSC01477_zps3dmemkit.jpg

• 1 year later...