How To Get Our Sport To Grow

bbk

I don't think trials not being a spectator sport has anything to do with the amount of participation. Harescrambles in my area get a large turnout...and HS is waaaay worse than trials to spectate.

I went my first National at Nebraska this year. My dad went also just to see it. He's in his 60s and did a little walking and got to see a good 6 sections. U could see 3 different sections just off the parking lot.

To me, that's far better than any Harescrambles spectating.

From personal perspectve as a beginner. I suspect that probably more people take up the sport than we realise. Starting out not knowing anybody, full of nerves, failing miserably at every section,finishing a lap if you are lucky and feeling totally humilated, it is quite likely you will feel it is not for you and the biken goes up for sale. In my case i am determined to stick with it but would would be very easy to live without the stress and pack up.

I feel sure this happens a lot.

Trials is quite different to racing. Racing even if you finish last you have a measurable distance to the person in front, that person is a target and if you can close on them or beat them you feel you are improving. In trials everyone always seems much better than you.

• Like 2

Trials as we know it is a thinking persons pastime ... There is little to no instant self gratification , and there isn't the everyone is a winner modern attitude . Trials competition actually is a very personal thing in my opinion , until you've been at it for quite awhile , you are your own worst competition.

We all start as novices and move up when we improve ... BIG psychological block right there for alot of folks ... We don't hang out in the pits after the event and brag about how I kicked your a$$ in turn 4 . WE WALK Sections with our closest competitors and discuss how we are going to do it !!! and then many times talk about what we did wrong or right . We help each other out when we can , and pick each other up when needed ....

Case in point , The best in the world at our sport , at my section in the last world round here in the states , walking the section together on the first loop , and then asking the observer (ME) what I thought was the best line ...

post-1232-0-24426600-1434936355_thumb.jpg

And then looking at what I suggested and being the first ones to clean my section ...

Is that gonna happen in any other motorized sport ?????

Just my rant for today . :)

Glenn

• Like 4

And it was a different line than all the previous riders had done , one tough/trick spot I knew they both could do , and it made the approach to the rest easier ... I thought it was the way Charlie layed out the section ... you just had to see it !

It doesn't concern me if the sport grows or not. What does concern me is if we can't buy new bikes and parts anymore. The focus should be on selling more bikes. One way is to get the bikes on X-Games with a new sport that judges tricks like the skateboarders, bmx, etc. They could run the event on the street skate park and add some indoor trials obstacles. It would be way more entertaining than FMX.

Everyone here is obviously a fan of trials...but it is more exciting than FMX? Not a chance

Refer to my post above ... We 're not about the excitement , we are about the SKILL !!!!

And maybe that's why it doesn't sell big time ... WE ALL KNOW going fast is easier than going slow , the rest of the world just has a problem grasping the concept ! 

I think one of the FIM indoors in coordination with the X-Games and you would gain interest.

How many of you carry a flyer to the next event in your vehicle? How many of you also get comments from people at the gas station about people who have seen trials on TV or Youtube but that's it? 

Just food for thought.

--Biff

Maybe somebody should challenge these 2 dirt biking brothers to do the SSDT... I know they are getting older now and one has a couple of kids but pretty sure it would generate some interest in the sport if that is really what you want to do :)

prince-william-prince-harry-motorcycles-

The karting part of Warden Law was really busy on Saturday but I was the only trials rider. Two people stopped to ask me about the trails, and as usual Junior Kickstart was mentioned. That program did a lot for the sport, me looping it in front of them probably did not.

Exciting? motocross watch the leader run off from the pack and you look for a couple of guys fighting for 5th place? tennis left,right,left,right left,right ? golf cant wait to see that ball fly and someone walk by ?

im 53 never heard of trials never saw a trials motorcycle until 2004 when I was watch Tommy A. on the speed vision . I said to myself I can do that, Im gonna find me one of them bike and do it. I live on the line of Oklahoma and Arkansas I found myself a bike in east Tennessee, now thats a long drive. bought a 2000 GG 280 brought it home and went out to ride like Tommy!!!! Well I dont have time to type the whole story but lets just say Im not near as good as Tommy BUT Im EXCITING those that watched me could not watch for long, afraid of what was going to happen . I decided I had to find some help, A lot of HELP When you see me ask me the story.

This sport is very exciting for those who know about  go to a world round watch the people shout for there riders blow horns,  clap I watched the first world round in Japan this year the fans are great , watched th videos of the indoor and outdoor listen to crowds 

Our sport is not know in the U.S. NATC is not doing its job

Keep comments coming

I like what you guys are saying   

I spoke with some of the members back in 05 of couse i was a newbie with big ideas and was not listen to. I still think myself as a newbie but I see a need to make this sport grow. I've been to natc events and never saw a bill board or anything in dealerships or yard sign saying we have a meet here this wekend. As i said earlier I watched 16year old   Pat win the round and recieved a beer for a trophy. I think there were around 125 people competeting ,just with entry fees paid on time thats $12500.00 not counting spectators fees.

I've ben playing with a system that the riders will win money and a beer or trophy. That same event Pat would made close to $3000 for both days natc would get some and the trials club would also recieve a pay out. also all the other classes that competed have a pay out down to 3rd place. When I find a way to show how its done and I know it works on a large scale I will show everyone.

I don't mean to upset anyone but I think there needs to be a new way of doing this sport . for all you guys that want it to stay small thats okay you can still ride with your small groups  those that want a bunch I think this will help. We all I think want this sport to be around a long time I have 5 grand kids coming up, one is riding at 4 already his sis is 2 and  is tearing up a strider and going over logs.

Ariel now has a little guy 1 year with a strider look for him to ride some day

I think anyone that wants to ride a motorcycle should start with trials

There would be a lot less havoc on the roads

Where does that $12500.00 go that was just for just 1 day