2011 2.9 Questions.

cheesepreetza

Just purchased a gently used 2011 Sherco 2.9 coming off a 99 beta techno and have some questions.

Is there a rear brake return spring? pedal feels dead until you actuate it.

Does it absolutely need 98 octane? 94 is the closest i can get at the pump without getting 112 VP

My bike came with a very brief manual, link to download a full service manual?

is the exhaust repack-able? 

is it normal for it take about 7-8 kicks when cold to charge the fuel pump? 

Thanks for any replys Sherco gurus!

Edited by cheesepreetza

Is there a rear brake return spring? NO! You will be used to it after a month.

Does it absolutely need 98 octane? 94 is the closest i can get at the pump without getting 112 VP Mine rides ok with any gas I find.

My bike came with a very brief manual, link to download a full service manual? Big flop for Sherco not having a workshop manual.

is the exhaust repack-able? Whithout using an angle grinder? No

is it normal for it take about 7-8 kicks when cold to charge the fuel pump? Only if gas was empty before. 

Just purchased a gently used 2011 Sherco 2.9 coming off a 99 beta techno and have some questions.

Is there a rear brake return spring? pedal feels dead until you actuate it.

Does it absolutely need 98 octane? 94 is the closest i can get at the pump without getting 112 VP

My bike came with a very brief manual, link to download a full service manual?

is the exhaust repack-able? 

is it normal for it take about 7-8 kicks when cold to charge the fuel pump? 

Thanks for any replys Sherco gurus!

Premium pump gas works fine since our 91 octane(R+M/2) rating is similar to the euro spec 98(RON).

Service info is here http://www.shercousa.com/?action=9 other stuff here http://www.shercousa.com/?action=6

Replace plug at first signs of hard starting and run full synthetic at 80/1 or less to help prevent gunking up the muffler.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if it's possible to change from the 2010-11 airbox to the 2012+ airbox and filter? Comes complete Part # 3525

Yes, It's an easy swap, I recall having to elongate the bolt hole under the filter and drill and tap a thread up by the headstock for the front mounting bolt.

If you have the Keihin carb it will be plain sailing but It may be different if you have the Dellorto as I think the 12 bikes had a Keihin as std so the new air box pipe will be bigger where it mounts to the carb.

So now i'm scratching my head. i'm new to trials, but i'm not new to two strokes or offroad bikes in general. I know nobody rides a trials bike like this but when i wack the throttle from a slow idle, or climbing i will sometimes get a lean/rich bog.  Almost like the choke is stuck on, let off the throttle and it idles fine. i really only notice it riding from or to a section, or when i clear it out. 125 main 45 pilot. Is the float set correctly? also does the fuel line go along side the exhaust or wrap over the airboot? the latter does not seem to mount the carb in the boot as nice, but i don't want to burn up a fuel line!

With whatever jetting the previous owner did i can only seem to articulate about 1/8th to 1/4 of air screw adjustment, when it gets colder do does one just lower the clip? i know its a tiny carb but it seems ultra sensitive to the air screw.

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

^ also wondering if this needle seat is supposed to be loose to the touch, it will fall out if the carb is tipped upside down.

Edited by cheesepreetza

UPDATE, Put the stock Dell'Orto and runs like a champ but a tad rich. little burble at 1/8th to 1/2 throttle. Much more compression than the Keihin for some reason.., plug looked white ish with the keihin, possible air leak? 

Edited by cheesepreetza

I really like the Dellorto on my 2011 250,smooth and clean running. Easiest thing to try is dropping the needle/raising the clip 1 notch,if still not smooth go with one step leaner carb slide but put the needle back when you do.

I put a 2014 header and muffler on,my silencer was to saturated too clean out,big difference in performance.

I you have a good working Dellorto I would use it. You simply do not need a high performance carb at this point. The Dell is a lot less finiky and just works. Jetting about 36-38/ and 118 range. Fuel trim screw at 2.5-3.5 turn out, needle 3rd notch down.

If you ordered the later airbox and hose, the reducer adapter is required for the Dell inlet side smaller size.

In your pics above, the float height looks too low(high in the pic). That level in relation to the center pedestal is where the float should rest when just toutching the needle spring with carb held at 45 deg angle. and NO spring compression. You do not set these w/ inverted.

Diffusor should not fall out. Something major wrong or broken there. I never remove them, but I believe they go in and are retained from the bottom. Should only extend about 1.5- 2mm into the bore.

If you just must have a Kiehin, PM me as I have one little use I will send you on the cheap, already modded w/ dual bowl vents.

I figured out the Keihin, the needle seat / Diffusor was installed the wrong way, i feel like a buffoon. It should be installed from the bottom with the bowl off.

Thanks for the Dellorto settings,  mine is set up nicely now. 

Edited by cheesepreetza