1997 Jtx 270 Keeps Blowing Spark Plugs!

renegade master

Ok very early days yet! but might have solved it? Ok we took out the carb again to check the jetting size! and after another inpection of carb we found a broken component! one of the jetts! the one that goes all the way into the bowl ( jet choke i think ) I have post a picture of it below, so we just used another carb that I got and put everything back together and tested it out! 20min spin and its still going! switched the bike of and frist kick it starts again! I will probably bring it to the hill at the week end for a real test, but does this broken jet make sence to you guys as to the plug blown problem?

Cheers guys

post-19212-0-57686200-1435280767_thumb.jpg

Broken choke jet could very well be the problem, when the o-ring on it gets damaged it affects the jetting due to fuel bypassing it

Out of interest how different was the jetting numbers in the 2 carbs?

Yep problem solved, as the broken choke het together with the damaged o-ring will let in too much fuel even when the choke is off. Small things can have very big effects. especially in carburetion.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Hi just been reading your tread with interest am currently building a Jtx 200 and need a sa barrel and piston assembly. I run lots of small two stroke tool and had a sthil chainsaw that was blowing plugs all the time.This turned out to be debris in the case not allowing cool air to the head, and them getting far to hot.Have you checked that you have coolant in the cylinder head? On my sons gasgas there is a bleed nut on the top to vent the air. John

Broken choke jet could very well be the problem, when the o-ring on it gets damaged it affects the jetting due to fuel bypassing it

Out of interest how different was the jetting numbers in the 2 carbs?

There a slight difference between jet size, I will check tomorrow on the old carb for sizes

Ok sorry for late reply on update, took a spill off my gasser pro last week that put me out of action, ok so finiely got to test out the jtx 270 o the hill yesterday, and yep problem solved!

on another note tho, something i havent come accross before!!! as the bike was running great when i got up the hill halfway (hight of hill 671meters) the bike felt like there was a hard spot in the chain! a sort of hold back feeling, abrupt tug! so got to the top and on the way down i was in frist gear and having a 9t/40t setup makes it nice for steep down hills, but bike kept cutting out and wouldnt start only on full choke! I had my suspicions tho! as my mate was on his 97 315r and complaining of the same problems! we came to conclusion it was altitude sickness! of the bikes that is!, both bikes are 1997 so are similar, once we got back down again bikes were fine! funny thing is we have been up there before on newer bikes but hasent effected them! mabe the older bikes dont like altitude! also something to point out, te weather was damp foggy kind of stuff! just thought id mention it!

post-19212-0-62791200-1436228076_thumb.jpg

THat weather (moisture) and altitude can make a great difference yes! Really needs rejeting to work propperly. (smaller because of the richer mixture). But offcoarse this is quite a hassle since you need to change it back to normal when going down.

671 is not that high, but it could (and will) make a difference than sea level).

But seeing from that picture the humidity was very high and that could be a problem.

Edited by crazybond700

Could also happen with newer bikes, its one of the disadvantages of carburators, they dont adjust themselves.

Also it could have been something else, maybe too long on a certain angle, water getting in somewhere?

But putting the choke on it to solve could explain it that its due to the weather and altitude.

Edited by crazybond700