Seeley Honda Mudguards

andywalker

Could anybody please give me a bit of advice as to what mudguards this would have come with and what would be the closest style of replacement available today, also what would the correct length of the rear shocks have been?

Any help and advice will be most welcome.

post-20480-0-57551400-1435063011_thumb.jpg

post-20480-0-93488900-1435063206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The original guards would have been black made by VF (Vacuum Formers) Hard to find now but copies have been made over the years.

Somtimes pop up on ebay. I always thought they looked better with white!

My Seeley has 14 inch rear shocks, not sure if that is correct but work fine. Yours looks ok in the pic's.

Your exhaust header looks more like TLR than Seeley.

Great little bikes.

Welcome to a very elite club, B) as 4 Stroke says they do look better with white mudguards,

Not sure what your plans are for her?

If you do decide to ride her in anger over rocks you might look to beef up the sump guard and make sure you keep the foam

between the engine and the sump guard, I fitted a proper rubber one off a TLR200 sits sweetly

and offers a bit more protection.  Enjoy.

My plan is to fully restore the bike then use it in selected trials, it has been parked up and pretty much unused for the last 20yrs but still runs good, however the shockers need replacing and could maybe do with a different silencer? but going to go right through it, rebuild wheels etc,, any suggestions on what is available ref a silencer?

Thanks for the sump guard tip,

Mine has an original exhaust back box which I removed for safe keeping and replaced it with a stainless copy from ebay a while back.

It fitted ok but sounds awful! It may be possible to modify a WES type from a TLR.(Wrong side)

The sump guards were always a bit thin but also had a black fibre wrap around shield for the engine cases.

Shedworks make a copy of this and it fits between the sump guard and engine.(£65)

Not many people kept this shield in place as it held a lot of mud!!

Its either one i owned or one which has been repaired in exactly the same way. The frame broke at the headstock and the extra gusset was put in on the front down tube to strengthen it. Its also got some work done above the footrests.

Yes its had some extra bracing put in place above the footrests and headstock (front downtube)  the bike has been in north yorkshire for the last 20yrs but i do not know any of its history before that.

I have wanted one for a long time but you never really see any for sale, i am more than happy with it, thank you Jason!  :)   

Edited after feedback from johnw:

One production run had white mudguards - see Pages 218 & 219 of "Colin Seeley...and the rest". It appears from the photos in this book that the front mudguard did not have an integral mud flap (neither did the VF mudguards). If you trim off the mudflap of a Gonelli guard and reverse it (so that what is then the front is more pointed) I believe you have something close to the original. I have no idea who the manufacturer of the white mudguards was/is.

Another production run batch had Black "VF" mudguards.

Incidentally, on Page 218 there are pictures of the Works RTL 240 which looks an absolute beast; seemingly a  Seeley TL200E with what looks like the barrel and head of a 500!

Edited by esteve

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, it's the other way round. Early production bikes had white Preston Petty 'mudders'. Later bikes had black VFs. We've had both variants from new. The change to black VFs was made before frame #1118. Neither had integral front mudflap. Still got both bikes - white looks best!