Should I Buy An Ossa Explorer?

chantalbc

That's a nice set up Mark - are those ROX risers? I was considering getting the antivib ROX and keep with the stock bar..usually don't have too much of an issue with that...

Since yours looks more like a trail riding set up, which is what I'm after as well (those awesome high alpine rides around Winthrop and Leavenworth are calling me...)....did you do anything to stiffen up suspension?

And finally what gearbox oil do you run? and what pre mix oil do you use? I will likely give Adrian at Lewissport a call to see what they recommend as well? on the beta we run Opti 4 5w30 for the gearbox and opti 2 pacakges for the premix

Yes, ROX 2" risers.

It worked with stock bars as well, but he TE bars really help on the rough trails and a quicker pace.

I ditched the stock rear damper and installed the Ohlins. Much nicer, but cost too much.

I think Adrian has another option that is cheaper.

The stock was ok- but Ohlins a lot nicer.

I'm using Maxima Extra4. 0w10

100% Ester.

This is what Adrian said I should use. I change about every 10 hours or so.

I run Motorex full synth Cross Power 2T oil at 100:1

Lots of great rides near me also- check out some of my vids if you want.

Always happy to show you around if you get this way.

(Too hot east of the mountains now for me!)

Mark

A note on the conversion

KTM sells a reusable sealing plug for the injection hose that goes to the upper tank.

They call it a 'washing plug'

I'll try to post the part number.

Definitely need that.

So,far I have had no issues with the Explorer stuff for trials, but like I mentioned, I'm just a novice and nothing that hard. Sometimes I find it an advantage- like super slick hills that others (of my skill range) are having problems with- I can sit down and get very controllable traction and make it right up. Or seat bouncing double logs from a stop.

This is just because I have a LOT of years riding sitting down and pretty new to trials or standing all the time. I can balance my weight better for slick hills sitting (getting better when standing)

Plus even if I have to 'paddle' for a rut deeper than my footpegs I can make it. Without a seat I couldn't. (Plus only a 3 not a 5)

Guys better than me could stand on the 'seat' portion of the trials bodywork- but I'm not that good.

Others could just wheelie all the way. I'm not that good either.

For that matter, I'm plain not that good!

Mark

Edited by lotus54

:icon_salut:

Hmm, was all set to go buy the bike but then realized that something is a bit fishy. The bike is advertised as a 2014, and has 2014 black plastics - but for the starter it has the battery behind the headlamp not under the seat as it should be for the 2014 and it also still has the red stop button on the throttle side that was used on the 2013 . It is my understanding that the start assist was revamped for 2014 so I now have my doubts that this is indeed a 2014...Grrr...asked the dealer to send me a VIn number and a picture of the battery set up under the seat since I live 2.5 hours away...

There were quite a few good improvements to the 2014.

The easy start system is quite a bit different also, a AAA rechargable battery in a case with other electronics.

Trans is improved, better main bearings more.

There were quite a few good improvements to the 2014.

The easy start system is quite a bit different also, a AAA rechargable battery in a case with other electronics.

Trans is improved, better main bearings more.

Hi there Mark,

still very confused to what the manufacturing year of the bike...the VIN ID's it as a 2014 Model with the Letter E in 10th digit, and it looks like it be one of the first 200 bikes made under the 2014 model ID, but considering it doesn't have the 2014 easy start...not sure if OSSA had a mid Model year revision for the 2014?

Could you by any chance check your VIN to see what yours is, I believe I saw your post that you had one of the first 2014's in North America