Where Are The Electric Trials Bikes For Adults Already?

feetup

• 3 years later...

What is the law regarding electric bikes etc on the highway common ground??

Individual states have passed laws regulating electric dirt bikes for teenager. LA has a DOT which regulates motorized vehicles and it defines an "electric bike" as a pedal assist bicycle, with a maximum speed of 20 mph, operated with human power and weighing less than 100 pounds.

It shall not be subject to regulations governing pedestrians or bicyclists. 
In most instances, these means that they are only allowed to operate on the shoulder or bike lanes of highways or roads where applicable--even if you're going faster than most cyclists because you're able they go faster because of their increased torque from battery-powered motors.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, davidjimrd said:

What is the law regarding electric bikes etc on the highway common ground??

Individual states have passed laws regulating electric dirt bikes for teenager. LA has a DOT which regulates motorized vehicles and it defines an "electric bike" as a pedal assist bicycle, with a maximum speed of 20 mph, operated with human power and weighing less than 100 pounds.

It shall not be subject to regulations governing pedestrians or bicyclists. 
In most instances, these means that they are only allowed to operate on the shoulder or bike lanes of highways or roads where applicable--even if you're going faster than most cyclists because you're able they go faster because of their increased torque from battery-powered motors.

In the UK, electric trials bikes are treated like any other trials bike. My EM is road registered though I don't use it on the road so don't have a number plate, speedo or insurance.

Electric bicycles have some power and speed limitations in order to be considered a bicycle.

Electric scooters are outlawed totally, although I don't understand why. Nor do I understand why they can then be provided by the council in Bristol for public (paid) use, but they are and they're extremely popular. I think they are probably going to be a permanent feature in cities quite soon.

Edited by trapezeartist
Typo

There are lots of electric trial bikes ls for adults that can be used as a great mode of transportation to get from one place to another. Electric bikes for adults but they are not that popular. 

Electric trials bikes can be used by people with disabilities and those who have physical limitations. They come in all different shapes and sizes, but the most common ones you will find on the market are foldable or folding bicycles. They have different types of wheels which allow them to maneuver easily through narrow areas like parking garages or stairways.

• 10 months later...

Well it's been a little over 7 years since I started this thread... and I even referenced EM in that OP, and after all these years, I am finally the proud owner of a 2022 EM Pure Race.   So far I like it a lot, just posted in the EM thread about some lower gearing to see if anyone has tinkered with that.  Definitely hope to see more progress in the space, but I finally needed a quiet bike, that can get through an event on 1 battery, and with a clutch.  Boxes ticked.   Here's a fun little video I did of my bike in my garage before I got it dirty :

• Like 2