Charlie Shopland

wobblywalker

Hi Guy's.

Hi WW.

I tonight found a picture of the John Catchpole's side valve Norton outfit being ridden by Arthur Pullman and Lyn. in a Mag article.

He did live in the Isle-of-Man until his passing, one of those characters that would just try something new or improvise  just for the sake of it.

Another was Bob Collier, and old mate  Barry Kefford.

I just tagged onto this thinking even to this day.

Happy Days.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Gary (M?),

One to come, along with more sidecar features.

I suspect AAwill might even have ridden with John Catchpole - I know Mary and I rode with many of the old characters, especially Arthur Pulman (who learned his sporting motorcycling 'trade' as a gopher-cum-passenger on a grass-track outfit with the number '22'.................) and the nicest man ever, Jack Matthews. 

Deryk Wylde

Edited by laird387

Hi Guy's.

Deryk

Do you remember the Bob Collier Norton outfit?

The engine was in the prone position and the frame was made of cut up pushbike tubing. (that inspired me to cut me pushbikes up for the same cause.

The other Outfit of his I remember was the Norton Jubilee twin, and a converted Watsonian  "Bambi" Glass-fibre sidecar.

Where Bob left off Barry Kefford took over with his designs.

Happy Days.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

Certainly do remember Bob Collier's outfits - had a go with the Jubilee and was surprised by the power - bit like a sewing machine'

Cheers

Deryk

PS. The first JC special was made using two Villiers singles 'glued' together, with coupled sprockets linked by a duplex chain.............

Details in ORRe-issue27 which is already with 'tc' so will be on-line very shortly, complete with photographs of some of the specials - of course - plus sidecars from the Sammy Miller series round in Yorkshire.

Next question:   Who rode '22' in grass track - now there was another character (and a good friend of the Review)?

Edited by laird387

Hi Charlie,

Right in one - and as a memory of the great character this is Lew, saying to me;  "Look at this, Deryk, this young whipper-snapper has pinched my number......."

That was at the Bonanza in 1982, the first year we organised it.

post-19290-0-94269000-1439113569_thumb.jpg

I can see how we got on to Lew Coffin in a Charlie/Geoff Shopland piece, which brings me to my next comment. I knew Lew for many years when I lived down in the south west and I recall him speaking with a newcomer to grass track when I was within earshot.

The newcomer to the grass was complaining about having to ride on stoney tracks. Lew's instant reply which I remember so well to this day and which is so pertinent to the newcomer's problem: "No stones at the front boy!" 

• Like 2

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old post but after reading it with interest I had to comment. I actually worked with Charlie in the seventies at the garage in Minehead. He did indeed get a sponsorship by Comerfords Bultaco and made his own chair to match it. Geoff Hawkins was also a sidecar trialer and worked at the same garage. Most of our lunch hours were spent cleaning the outfits from the previous weekend, tweeking, tuning, or redesigning headstocks. There was always something to do. Or both of them helping the young kid with his BSA Bantam (me).