Scarboro Pre-65 Weekend, 4/5 July 2015

laird387

Hi,

Over seventy riders enjoyed the 32nd Sporting Weekend organised by the Scarboro' club at their super Low North venue last weekend, specifically for Pre-65 and Twinshock machines.

A full photoreport of the event is in our digital magazine 'OFF ROAD REVUe' Issue 26 which is due on-line shortly.

As an appetiser here is an action shot, by Jack Knoops, of Paul Harrison on his Yamaha in the Air-cooled Mono class, who dropped 18 marks over the whole weekend.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-20382200-1436509909_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Deryk

Looking forward to the article ! Me and my son rode and loved it. I was on the tl125, Chris who is 13 on the Whitehawk 175.

Chris had a great ride, clean on day one and losing out with a dab on the second last section of the day ! He was still over the moon with a first class award tho being youngest there. (I sneaked into third, god knows how !!)

Look forward to seeing some great pics and look forward to the event again next year. It's the second year we have done it, and it's a great classic pre 65 trial.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Glad you enjoyed yourselves - Mary and I did when we were part of the fun in the inaugural event way back in the 80's..........Pete and Eileen and their gang certainly put on fine events, and please don't forget to tell your contacts about ORRe.

Anyway, another taster for you - courtesy of photographer Jack Knoops - with a picture of Chris in action.

Cheers

Deryk

post-19290-0-16435000-1436518133_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

twinshock?

Hi Nigel,

Since this was the thirty-second time the Scarboro' club have run their 'Sporting Weekend' that may give you a clue that they know what they are doing - and particularly since the prime organisers Peter and Eileen Race were directly involved in the very first one - so it is fair to assume they perhaps know what they are doing?

One aspect of their organisation stems from the origins of the pre-65 movement - which lends just as well into the later twinshocks, etc., is to arrange classes so that riders are competing in a class of riders on machines of similar technical complexity - they don't ask a rider on a rigid Matchless to compete against a rider on a trick Tiger Cub as though they were both 'Pre-65', for example.

The classes in which riders competed were:

Pre-unit Pre-65

Pre-65 unit

Pre-65 twin

Pre-65 twostroke

Pre-65 rigid

and as a mop-up for any other rider, Pre-65 clubman.

The 'twinshock' class was:

Post-65 Twin shock

Then they had a class for Air Cooled Monos

and a final mop-up class for any other rider, Post-65 clubman.

That way everyone who wanted a ride in the sporting weekend was welcome, and could have a ride competing on equal terms on riders of similar machines - or for those just wanting a chance to ride/try their bike two clubman classes.

Apparently everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves - and I am not aware of any complaints or criticisms - and surely that means THEY GOT IT RIGHT...........

If you want a good look at the machines and riders in the various classes - just get yourself on the ORRe list, where the photoreport is divided into the classes that competed, with views of both sides of the machines wherever possible.

But most importantly, enjoy.

• Like 1

Hi,

Now a challenge for those in the know, here are a couple of photographs taken at this year's Scarboro Sporting Weekend, where I can't identify the rider cos you can't see his number - can anyone give us a clue?

Thanks in advance - oh, and by the way they appear to have two shock absorbers at the rear, Nigel...............

post-19290-0-65921900-1436618380_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-50928900-1436618405_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Some more pictures here.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23151445@N00/sets/72157624295932641

Amazing mix of bikes.  Lots of modifieds.  Funny one a 'BSA' with an aluminium all-in-one bespoke tank/seat combo.  

Deryk, perhaps nigel is just trying to point out that there are lots of non-pre65 twinshocks as opposed to pre65 twinshocks, surprising for a pre65/classic event?

And of course my favourite, the lovely rigid Ariel, original.  Fanastic.  And the only rigid.  Possibly the only original pre-65 pre-unit bike too.

He won!  Admittedly in a class of one!

The results are here:

http://www.scarboroughdmc.co.uk/upl/doc/559a3a6c06c65.pdf

There were 10 pre-units. 

The pre-65 clubman course was mixed unit and pre-unit, disadvantaging pre-units, but then again there were only 4 clubman pre-units anyway.

And no differentiation between original and modified in any class, massively disadvantaging originals.  And from the pictures, there were lots of highly modified bikes.

But then again, many of the classes, and especially the pre-unit classes, only had 1, 4 and so on riders in them, so what do they do?  They already have about 10 classes with 70 odd riders, average of 7 in a class.  Throw in modified distinctions and you have an average of 3.5 riders per class.  Even some of the twinshocks looked modified which is amazing.

It is obviously great that the event was so successful and enjoyed by all.  The organisers did do a great job and obviously have an awful lot to deal with especially as things stand.  

That said, it still does not mean that there is not a separate problem with modified bikes pushing out original bikes, seemingly now not just in pre65 aswell!

All the best. 

Edited by ttspud

HI ttspud,

In ORRe-26 there are 46 photographs of the Scarborough weekend and I agree with you that I can now see even relatively modern bikes that have been 'improved' - but I don't believe that anything anybody does or says is going to change the fact that to all intents and purposes the eligibility battle is long since dead and lost.

Sadly that whole debacle was lost in insignificant arguments as to whether modern Renthal handlebars, as an example, could be fitted, when the real reason for the class was to create trials with sections that could still be ridden by people who couldn't afford a new Spanish model but still wanted somewhere to ride their old British bike without hurting themselves.

So nowadays I am just happy to let people get on with what they want to do - I feel they are missing sport that I and many others enjoyed - but that's their loss.  I just rry my best to record accurately what I see and create a record that may or may not be of interest to followers in the future.

One thing I did notice and that was the rigid Ariel (which, incidentally had the correct tank transfer) was ridden all day by John Feather with a contented grin from ear to ear....................and that was all that I wanted to see way back in 1972 when we started it all.

Cheers.

Hi Deryk,

I know, perhaps for all but one event and perhaps almost all clubs, the sport has devolved into non-pre65.  The bikes you see at that one event often only go to that event and can only go to that event.  And I agree, handlebars (or davetom's tyres and front internals) were never the issue, as everyone always knew, they were just excuse arguments to avoid talking about frames, engines, ignition and all the other 'cheat' bits.

One thing I did notice and that was the rigid Ariel (which, incidentally had the correct tank transfer) was ridden all day by John Feather with a contented grin from ear to ear....................and that was all that I wanted to see way back in 1972 when we started it all.

Could not agree with the sentiment more.  I like modern trials and the lighter bikes but there is nothing as satisfying as riding a proper big, loud bike as the originals are.  I always have a grin ear to ear when I ride it, just like John.  And it is exactly for that reason that I do not believe that the sport is dead, it may be dead in the current ethos where there are no rules in place, but the evidence of the last event proves that those bikes still exist as do the riders that ride them.  I enjoy competition, as do others, just one original rigid and perhaps no other original sprung pre-units is tragic because it means there are a lot of people needlessly missing out.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pictures here.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23151445@N00/sets/72157624295932641

Amazing mix of bikes.  Lots of modifieds.  Funny one a and#39;BSA' with an aluminium all-in-one bespoke tank/seat combo.  

Deryk, perhaps nigel is just trying to point out that there are lots of non-pre65 twinshocks as opposed to pre65 twinshocks, surprising for a pre65/classic event?

And of course my favourite, the lovely rigid Ariel, original.  Fanastic.  And the only rigid.  Possibly the only original pre-65 pre-unit bike too.

Thought it was a bit odd. That's not John "Smiley" Feather's rigid Ariel. His is much tidier than that and has the correct Ariel tank badge! This one looks more like the one that Lancashire's Chris Nutter used to campaign. The album photos are from the 2010 event which also explains why the riding numbers didn't match the results. Still good to see the old photos though.

Hi stickinthemud,

I'm sorry but my broadband is so slow that I can't see the 'flickr' photos that are quoted, however, as a taster, here is one of the images of John Feather in the 2015 Scarboro' Sporting Weekend, it is one of the four of John that I use in the report of the weekend in Issue 26 of ORRe, that will be on-line very shortly. There will be  a photoreport of the 2015 Dales Trial, Sammy Miller round, in ORRe-issue 27, 'cos I am doing my best to give any club that runs a trial with a classic or pre-65 class as much coverage as possible.  It is a great pity that TMX no longer seems to care about ALL aspects of trials and motocross, which, as they say, 'it says on the packet'......................particularly since they were one of the first to give me an opportunity to cover the classic sports and certainly were THE significant newspaper in their day.

The photoreport of the 2015 Scarboro has no less than 48 photographs from the event.

And incidentally, if I could persuade someone to talk to me from Yorkshire Classic, you would get very similar coverage of every one of your trials in ORRe.  But Barry P doesn't seem interested..........

Pity - enjoy, and yes, it is the right transfer - and yes I still have some genuine ones left............ 

post-19290-0-22622500-1437581811_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2