Help Swapped From Gas Gas To 4Rt

toneh

Hi ive been doing trials for 2 year now and started in beginners for first year until I consistently finished most trials in the top Half dozen then moved to clubman and again made steady progress

But I've now swapped bikes from an 09 300 raga to 05 4rt and it's all gone pear shaped

First ride on the 4rt I had my worst result ever

And on attempting things I could do on the gas gas I found nearly impossible on the 4rt , mainly slippy rooty hill climbs

I've searched most posts and asked about adapting to a 4rt but a lot of info seems conflicting

Low gear wieght back no clutch to high gear slip clutch and blast it

I'm finding I'm Worrying and thinking more about how to ride the bike before a trial than actually just doing it , nothing seems automatic any more

Will I return to the level I was at before in time or do some people never adapt to the 4rt

Any tips or advice is very welcome

This might sound harsh but I feel the abilities of an 09 Raga are more than an 05 4rt,think it's a backwards step.I suggest you post on Montesa forum as to how best to ride it,some people learn to ride them well

Finding grip on a 4rt is an acquired technique, Raga300 does it for you !

Some ride them well, but where grip in mud is the issue I find most if not all of the better riders are on 2T

Keep trying it will probably take a good 6 months to crack it, all the advice from fellow riders will not necessarily work you need to practice and find what works for you.

Good luck

Finding grip on a 4rt is an acquired technique, Raga300 does it for you !

Some ride them well, but where grip in mud is the issue I find most if not all of the better riders are on 2T

Keep trying it will probably take a good 6 months to crack it, all the advice from fellow riders will not necessarily work you need to practice and find what works for you.

Good luck

Yes spot on that's what it seems like the raga would spin it's self out of trouble or Up a step where the 4rt needs to be ridden , with more rider input if you know what I mean

I have found if I'm more agressive with the 4rt I get more success at climbs and stuff like steps but that's going against what I've read or told , steady pace ride on the throttle , but I feel the agressive method is somtimes getting me in trouble

Rode a couple before but not in a trial and not many folks are willing to let you attempt certain things on their pride and joy , and I wouldn't want to

The main reason I wanted one is because I'd like to get into bigger lap stuff , road trials and the like

Took the gas gas to ilkley and it nearly killed it

How long have you been riding the 4RT? Because you've got to give it enough time to get used to it.

I' ve got a 4RT and had a GasGas for a year and didn't notice much difference in traction.

• Like 1

I've had it around 6 weeks and have done 6 trials on it , my results have got a little better but certain things I seem to be really struggling with , ive even thought am u over thinking too much

It is frustrating and I suppose that's one thing you don't need in trials , I'm trying not to think about it too much but then ill do something basic I've done a hundred times before and fail miserably

I'm dreading winter and the mud already

You need to stick with it, so many get frustrated and sell them before learning how to ride one. Once you do its great fun and for the big lap trials there's nothing better and no more need to p*** about with carburation.

Edited by the addict

Hi ive been doing trials for 2 year now and started in beginners for first year until I consistently finished most trials in the top Half dozen then moved to clubman and again made steady progress

But I've now swapped bikes from an 09 300 raga to 05 4rt and it's all gone pear shaped

First ride on the 4rt I had my worst result ever

And on attempting things I could do on the gas gas I found nearly impossible on the 4rt , mainly slippy rooty hill climbs

I've searched most posts and asked about adapting to a 4rt but a lot of info seems conflicting

Low gear wieght back no clutch to high gear slip clutch and blast it

I'm finding I'm Worrying and thinking more about how to ride the bike before a trial than actually just doing it , nothing seems automatic any more

Will I return to the level I was at before in time or do some people never adapt to the 4rt

Any tips or advice is very welcome

It also depends a lot on the actual Mont that you have and it's set up and accessories fitted. There is not much doubt that the 05 motor as standard was quite fierce of the bottom end and the clutch was also fairly sharp, I had a programmable throttle body on my 05 and found the standard map difficult to ride. I eventually ran a programme (ZOG 3 or 4 from a TC contributer Ferret Flasher) this was a lot softer at the bottom end and was much easier to ride. Change of clutch plates in the  following year also made a big difference. Cam change from 2008 ( I think) also improved the motor and my 2014 RR is even more rideable in the low and mid range even with retaining the standard 10/41 final drive gearing. The raptor footrests and hangers are also approximately 35mm further to the rear axle than standard which tends to lighten the front end and move rider weight to the rear.

So as I said depending on the bike set up those things may be contributing to the difficulties you are experiencing. Also worth checking the swing arm pivot and linkage, I had a swing arm bush sieze that was making the rear end very non responsive and that will affect traction as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks , I don't really want to change a lot on the bike because I'm worried about just getting slightly used to it and then moving the goal posts and starting again ,but if I don't feel I'm improving on the bike I will start looking at mods and different set ups

Rear linkage is good clutch been changed , ive no issues with the slow plodding sections or rocky stream stuff it's slippy hill type stuff

At one trial there was a steep rooty wet muddy climb with thick mud at the bottom of the hill , on the gas gas it was 2 or 3rd nail it and up

On the 4rt I couldn't even get out of the mud at the bottom let alone up the bank ,

It just sat there spinning ( slowly )

Am I being just to conservitive expecting it to do miracles ,

Find the lowest gearing available for the bike, no clutch riding. I've been told it takes a year to get used to a 4rt, this advice is from a former expert and works rider I know. 

Had a go on one last week, loved it, I can't see how you'd ever need anything above 1st gear in a section, a lot of fun trail riding too. lots of torque and power, suspension was really impressive. Easy to get in trouble if you get caught in a branch and wind the throttle round, haha :D

Just stick with it I guess, don't expect too much in the beginning, it takes time

• Like 1