Sherco Newby

jontribe

Hi Chaps

Really ice looking community here!

This is my first post, so please bear with me if my questions have been done before....

I'm thinking of getting back into trials competition again. I used to be really in to it 25 odd years ago!

I think I'd be starting out again as a beginner as I literally haven't ridden off road since about 1994... I was riding the middle 'intermediate' route when riding, last trials bike was a Montesa 311.

I have the chance to buy a 1999 250 Bultaco/Sherco, there are 2 for sale not too far away from me for right around $1800 pre-haggle.

I have not seen either in person yet, but they are both owned by older guys who assure me their bike is in excellent condition.

What I'd like to ask from you knowledgeable types is, what's the Sherco reputation like? How do the early ones ride? Stable and easy for novices? Are they reliable? Being 16 odd years old, are the engines prone to failure?

Also I'm fairly big guy at 6'2" and 210, what's the power delivery like on these 250 size machines? Am I going to regret not going to a 290 or 300cc bike?

Lastly, what sort of price range should I be finding for these bikes, as they are asking about the 1800 mark I was hoping to possibly end up paying around 1500ish...

Hope I haven't rambled on too long. Any help/advice would be very gratefully received!

As always TIA

Regards

Trials nooby

Hi jontribe.

I've just started again after giving up at 18 (1985)  due to, girls, booze and cars etc.......It never left me though  and now at 4o odd years ! i've started again, thinking it would be a breeze (even though i've had road bikes all my life). 

Believe me pal its not and you have to put the practice in ! It all comes back but its not that bloody simple ! and the body hurts the day after !

But all said I love it so much and maybe after a few more practice sessions might have a go at a comp ! 

Cheers and good luck , Craig. 

Ha!

Hi Craig, sounds like we gave up for the same sorts of reasons!

Surly it can't be that hard getting back into it again, once you learn, never forget! Although I'm thinking it might sting a bit more on the falling off front!

I've been told on another forum that the newer bikes are much easier to ride and that it's probably best to go for the latest bike you can afford and I have a startup budget of a bit over $3k.

So I'm less sure about a 15 year old bike now...

Might have to think about it a bit more...

Stay away from 06 bikes, they were probably sherco's low point, the frame was the first year of the black frames & the radiator was lifted which cut the steering lock, seemed to be a few problems with frames cracking around the lower radiator mount & rear shocks that dumped all the oil out & aren't really worth rebuilding