Weird Engine Noise

hario

Hi all,

My bike started making this weird engine noise on my last ride, i have it on video so was wondering if it is familiar to anyone.

The bike is an 2002 mk3 Pampera 250. It has the same engine as the older GasGas trials models.

The noise is a scraping, vibration-y noise, that seems to only happen on the overun, and goes when the clutch is pulled in. The vibration is fairly strong and i can feel it through the bars and pegs.

Any suggestions on what it might be, or what to check?

Thanks,

Hario

Edited by hario

Hario, might think about laying her down on the LH side and using a (mine are 3/8 drive) allen

sockets & a hand impact wrench (if they have not been removed lately) they are very tight and soft. 

6 bolts & you can have all the plates for examination, be sure to note position of pressure plate to

clutch hub.

Good luck

Larry

I will take a look at the plates tomorrow, i did pop of the clutch cover in case the basket was rubbing it from inside but all looked good.

This bike did have just that problem in the past, where the clutch hub nuts cut a groove on the inside of the case. The aluminium from that is still coming out in the oil changes and i'm a little worried that may have led to a knackered bearing or gear. Ive never had either problem on a bike before so no idea what it would sound like.

Could piston wear make a noise like this?

D: sounds expensive, its not a massive surprise to me though

I will check the mag today

btw, the video is in North Devon, part of a short loop of green lanes i use for bike shakedowns

Lineaway wins it, the magneto has free play :(

Thanks for the pointers guys, bad news but at least you led me right to it and saved me going through everything else first.

Edited by hario