Not The Usual Map Switch Question.

steve_earle

I have an evo with a missing map switch, probably removed by a rock as they are in a stupid place on the later bikes!

I need to know what map is open circuit and what map is grounded circuit so I can check if I need to ground the wire as I'm not planning to fit another switch at the moment, I just need to make sure its in fast map permanent.

I know with the Gassers it's grounded circuit for the fast map as I have removed a few of them over the years.

If someone know's it would be cool and save me fiddling about with wires and riding it to try to tell the difference or messing about with a multimeter on a similar  bike.

Edited by steve_earle

Hi Steve, 

You will see from the attached photo that the map switch has 2 wires, brown and yellow/red, the terminals connections are covered with some resin. 

The map switch is wired so that the down position is the "hard" dry condition setting, and up is the "soft" wet setting.

From previously checking the switch operation with a multimeter, the down position has the switch closed - hard setting, and the up is open -soft setting. However if you check the unused contacts above where the wires are attached, the switch works the opposite way round. 

So if you want the soft setting, make sure the wire ends have no copper protruding, insulate each wire end with heat shrink then shrink them together and secure out of the way against the frame.

If you want the hard setting, solder the wire ends together, fit heat shrink and secure.

Unfortunately the little sticker on the frame of 2015 bikes shows operation the wrong way round (compared to all the previous EVOs) although it shows the conventional way in the handbook on page 21 

The blue and blue/white are for the lights, so insulate the ends of each wire to keep them open circuit and secured them..

Hope this helps

post-10187-0-29245400-1437117774_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent, Thanks guys, I need closed connection for the fast map then. I'll find the wire from the cdi and earth it in that case.

I can't see the point in fitting a switch as I've heard the 2 maps on the evo are only different at higher revs unless the Factory model is programmed different to the stock bikes.

I've just got to ride this thing now and see If I want to keep it or go to a Factory Sherco!

Steve  An open connection will default to the fast map.  I have taken many of these switches off Betas since they came with them on.

To test this, just unplug the switch and feel what it does.

The sticker says button up for full boost. The manual says down.  BillyT says open circuit for full boost. Overdale says wires connected. What's Steve to do?  Hopefully the real life difference in performance is enough to feel so testing can confirm. 

I rode my 2015 Evo 2t for the first time. I tried to tell the difference between the 2 maps. Not a huge difference. I felt that it ran better with the button down. With the button up, engine had a raspy sound and rough spot off idle. I couldn't tell any difference up top. So I think button down is full power mode. 

I've ordered a handle bar mounted Apico switch the same as the Gasser ones but with out the sun and rain, Only a tenner as opposed to 35 quid for the Beta one (they are not going to go bust soon are they!).

I had a play on the bike on Saturday and it fells like it's in the advanced map, I haven't had time to trace the wires out yet as the loom has been cut somewhere. I have the wiring diagram so I'll dive in and fit it when I get 5.

It feels retarded and smooth off the very bottom but really gets up and goes low mid right to top. 

I need to give it some proper testing and tweaking to see if I'm going to stay on a Beta but all seems good so far.

Billy was spot on as expected, The open connection is the fast map. 

On the 300 Factory it makes no difference to bottom end but on the soft map it smooths some of the mid to top hit out of it.

1st bike I can tell proper difference between maps.

They should re name the button "should have brought a 250 mode".

post-397-0-98046600-1438033483_thumb.jpg

Factory 2015 setup, so I'm pressing the Right Hand button thinking that's the map, cos the manual also says it's the R.H one, but didn't notice any difference only to realise via these post's it should be the yellow one!

It's even different to a standard 15 evo!

Well done Beta, another great bit of quality control to go along with all the other rubbish I've had to put right.