Bultaco M80 Fork Bottom Removal.

cosmo

Hello all.Recently returned to bultaco ownership after a 25 year gap.Im looking for advice please.Purchased a very rattly m80 with alloy tank frame number B8001649 to restore and ride.All going well and pretty enjoyable so far:frame welds fixed,resprayed,swing arm bearings, shocks and wheels done,however hit a problem with removing fork bottom section.I have removed full fork assembly as a pair during other work  and replaced steering head bearings,now trying to remove bottom section of fork(slider),i have followed clymer and haynes manual instructions and now have chrome section of fork legs individually in a padded vice,removed bottom allen release screw and rubber fork seal dust cover from bottom section,however fork sections wont pull off and separate as suggested but seem to hit a definite stop at full extension,also no sign of any circlip under rubber dust cover on top of fork seal?l.Do i need to reassemble fully on bike and try again?or am i doing something i shouldnt with fork legs individually in vice?i dont want to force too much in case of causing any damageAny help much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Cosmo, Unless there has been a long 6m screw turned in against the damper they

should only be stuck to the bottom of the slider with accumulated gunk or corrosion.

Damper assembly

post-14329-0-17918600-1437140326_thumb.jpg

the damper is secured in leg by a circlip, the slider comes off

after the bottom 8m allen head is removed.

Be sure to replace the O-Ring seal.

Larry

• Like 1

Cosmo, a help would be a longer M8 bolt screwed well into the damper, then tapped with a small

hammer along with some penetrating oil, should come along nicely, springs out of course.

Let us know how you get on.

Larry

• Like 2

Stuart, my best luck with seals; removal can be facilitated with a bit of heat and careful levering 

and soft alloy to lever against so as not to harm the slider,( I don't own a proper seal puller ).

1 seal per leg 35x47x10, I like to cut the female end of the seal spring by about 1/4 inch to ensure

better sealing, (not my idea but it sure works).

Good Luck

Larry

Edited by lbhbul
  • Like 1