3 Speed Or 4

midlife

It all depends on what you want to use it for surely, 3 speed Bantams are Ok for pre 65 but the 4 speed weren't available before 67.

Of course, all the Bantams at the Pre 65 Scottish would have been the 3 speed versions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise they are ineligible. ! 

• Like 1

It all depends on what you want to use it for surely, 3 speed Bantams are Ok for pre 65 but the 4 speed weren't available before 67.

Of course, all the Bantams at the Pre 65 Scottish would have been the 3 speed versions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise they are ineligible. ! 

:rotfl:

4 speed bantams D14's & B175's have been used in pre65 from the start, have a look at some of the old pictures posted!

(And most had Suzuki pistons fitted)

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

a little background.. four into three wont go.. fourspeed box wlere not manufactured pre 65 and some clubs did not accept them in trials many clubs though have a pre 70 two stroke class for which they are eligible. Yorks classic was certainly amongst the former very much a three speed only.. however a motion was put at the agm some few yaers ago and the  two stroke class became a pre 70 two stroke class and thus the 4spd became elgible and approx. a dozen bantams from home brews to 'works draytons can be seen most weekends in Gods country.

the suzuki piston is thought by many to be essential but i cant notice any difference it makes swapping between bikes, electrix world ignition is a valuable mod ( other ignitions are available) and swapping the gears inside the box is also of high value in a 4spd but no good in a three..the best mod is time and patience.. get that carb spot on and they stop and go with barely a whiff.. no figures to guide though as a brilliant carb on one bike might be a crock of ## on a bike of the same spec.

i have a drayton bantam with roadholders and falcons with a std engine and frankly its brilliant goodness only knows what a decent rider could do with it but more than one has ridden it and offered strong money.. 

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

I thought that most oversize pistons now used in the post 1965 BSA Bantam trials bikes, were made in China??

I know the one in mine is!! bit of a difficult job to start the taper less  barrel onto the piston though.

Regards Charlie.

I think the Chinese made ones are modified TS185 pistons

Best bantam mods are Suzuki piston & centre-fire head (Todd head or similar)

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

b175 comes std with a centre plug so its not even a mod.. result .. last one i bought a full running bike with mot.. broke it for parts on eblag kept the motor.. one fewer complete bike also means values rise.. result all round. 

• Like 2

b175 comes std with a centre plug so its not even a mod.. result .. last one i bought a full running bike with mot.. broke it for parts on eblag kept the motor.. one fewer complete bike also means values rise.. result all round.