Mar Brake/gear Lever Swap

nickyburnell

Hi, got a nice MAR here, gears on right. I can see that the swap of the gear lever is simple. Any parts needed to put brake on right?

Also appears to have two neutrals, one between 3 and 4 as well???

Many thanks

Edited by nickyburnell

How does your current, left foot setup work?

The right footed system works kind of oddly.

The pedal is connected to a spindle with a return spring (which also helps tension the chain tensioner which fits over the spindle) with the cable actuator arm attached to the other end. (pedel right-acutator and cable left side)

It's held in the frame between the foot rest by two plastic bushes and some split pins.

The nipple for the cable inner is connected to the frame very near to one of the lower mounts for the sump shield, so when the pedel is pressed, the spindle rotates and pushes the actuator arm backwards. (not the right way to pull a cable!)

But the actuator arm works on the cable outer, (the inner is held tight to the frame) so it pushes the cable outer backwards causing it to pull the brake on.

If your current left foot system is the same, except for the pedal on the left, then I guess you just need a right footed pedal/spindle and perhaps the spring.

You'll find a parts list here

http://www.custgp.com/downloads.html

By the sounds of it, you're hitting a false neutral between 3rd and 4th.

This could be due to shaft float.

The ends of the gearbox shafts (that protude through the cases) should be measured and shimmed accordingly whenever they are rebuilt to allow for the right amount of float in the shafts.

I've a little too much float in one of mine and it doesn't like 2nd without visiting 1st first!

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 1