Does A 2002 Txt Pro 280 Rear Shock Look Like This?

renegade master

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, does the 2002 txt pro 280 rear shock look like this? looks to me like the bottom part is bent or is this curved for a reason? I tryed to check with the 2004 and 2007 gassers that are hee but they look different.

Cheers all!

post-19212-0-79021300-1437739301_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely bent, had something similar on the last gas gas I owned. Was bent at the start of the thread where the mounting eye ended when done up.

Would possibly be able to be straightened but you'd need access to a lathe to cut an accurate internal thread in a decent sized bar that screwed on in place of the eye & then would need to make a set of soft jaws that would fully support the rest of the shaft while you slowly apply pressure to the bar.

That shock in the lower photo looks exactly like original shock out of my 05 sherco

• 2 months later...

Ok think im losing my mind now, I just took off my other shock now from my other pro and its the same as the photo I posted? which could mean i have a unique set of skills which enables me to bend both my gas gas txt pro 2002-2003 rear shocks to the exact same angles? on different bikes!

The only reason I took off the shock tonight was it was leaking oil, like leaving small puddles on the ground, but does oil go in these shocks or is it gas?

post-19212-0-22820100-1444257262_thumb.jpg

post-19212-0-09875800-1444257306_thumb.jpg

oh wait! just had a quick look at splat! seems hes offering a? guess what! rear shock rebuild! (new oil plus gas refill) !     great so now iv learned that it was oil that was comming out of my rear shock!  wonder is it worth 110stg for a rebuild tho? immm probbably is, as an new one is 450stg!!! :barf:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/rear-shock-rebuild.html

There is deffinatly oil in there (or there should be). Servicing a shock is not that difficult although retrieving the parts might be. E.g for my cr250 I can just buy replacement parts easily and with some instruction(video's) its no hard job. Just stay calm, think and work clean.

THe difficult part is normally setting it up right, what thichness oil? other shims? etc.

And the difficulty with this shocks is that they are not really made to be opened and closed, but still than its possible. I have my TT600 shock done by a pro, he made a nipple in the shock to charge it with nitrogen, added a thicker shock and more rebound.

Read carfully, spatshop will charge extra for a GG (sachs). And you need a new rod. I would look for a replacement. Simple ones are available here for around 280 euro's.

Also I would try to find out why they bent like that, havent seen that before (except for you :P)

Edited by crazybond700
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have the same problem with the rear shock of my 1998 GasGas Contact. It leaks oil.

The Suspensionservice said, that this shock is not rebuildible. has anyone an idea for an alternative solution?

i don´t wont to buy a new shock for 450 bucks for a bike which has a woth of 1000...

does anyone know a other shock that fits?

I contacted  the splat shop the shock in manufactured non-rebuild. He sends it to a guy that works for Ohlens he cuts it and machines it so it can be rebuilt.

seen this on ebay the bumper is worn but mine was not even there got one for a Beta split it down one side took the spring off put the new stop on used safety wire did three spots top middle and bottom been like that for six monthe or more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAS-GAS-TX-JTX-JT-TXT-EDITION-CONTACT-REAR-SHOCK-/231754066660?hash=item35f59e6ae4:g:JxsAAOSwvt1WSMBw