Question About Cylinder Gasket And Piston Rings For A 1998 Gas Gas Tx 320 Contact

thesaint

The different coloured gaskets are most likely different thicknesses to set the squish or compression correctly or to your liking.

If you can't get piston etc from GG, try Apico, Wiseco, Vertex or other piston suppliers

Edited by dadof2

• 3 weeks later...

I posted it twice because first i posted it in the "Genera trials forum" and the nest time i was logged on to this website i could not find my post 

The moderator had moved my post to the correct Gas Gas forum which i had not noticed since i am new here  :thumbup:

But i know where to post now  :thumbup:

Yes, the selection of base gaskets is so you can set the piston to cylinder head clearance (squish). You can use one or more gaskets to get it right.

If you do a search on setting squish clearance you'll get all the info you need. Basically assemble the cylinder with one gasket (no need for piston rings at this time) and bolt it down. Shape a piece of soft solder (about 1.5 to 2mm diameter) so it sits across the top of the piston with the piston just below top dead centre. Install the head (no need for o-rings at this time) and tighten the head bolts. Then crank the engine past top dead centre. Remove the head and the solder and measure the thickness at the ends of the solder where it is squashed flat.

Not sure what it should be on the older bikes but I run about 0.9 to 1.0mm on my Pro. Simply calculate and adjust the thickness of base gasket(s) until you get it close.

As for pistons and rings, the old ones where made by Mahle (and were excellent) but they stopped doing bike pistons. S3 are now doing them but the rings are not interchangeable. So shop around to see if any shops have old stock of the original rings.

Chris.