Security Cameras Etc

dadof2

Had CCTV footage of my 4x4 stolen at work, thieves  got in  (whilst I was in my upstairs office) one weekend.

Police came round to take a statement and asked if I could make a copy of CCTV and burn it to disc , he would come round the next day to pick up ! 

Guess what ??????

Still got disc and never came round (after ringing them three times) !  Pity really as thief could be seen on film ! 

In my opinion, good deterrent but bugger all use if the police are to busy or not bothered to take action !   :angry:

Craig.

Ask anyone who has had bike stole if they had wished they had done more to prevent it and most if not all will answer yes. Several £100s is well worth spending to make theft more difficult.

CCTV is only part of this and unfortunately at times the police response is pathetic. I have experience of CCTV both in public and private premises and it has reduced thefts very significantly. It has also resulted in several rapid arrests and ensured convictions.

Do all you can: Datatag, mark parts, register the bike, fit alarms and ground anchors, remove bike parts. Do all you can to slow or identify thieves and increase the likelihood of them leaving fingerprints or DNA.

I lock my bikes all together with the only access a small door. My large mean dog is tied within reach of said door. Being the states, most people that would know I have lots of bikes also know I carry a large weapon. Video and alarms are worthless. I had a commercial location. The police response times were terrible. Would have been better to sleep on location. A loud alarm and motion sensitive lights help, but any thing to do with a monthly fee is a joke.  

Why don’t we petition the government to relax the gun laws?

Let’s wipe out these vermin!

I know,  I know slightly hard core,

.... but when you have spent your hard earned cash and valuable time on the love of your life and some low life takes her away you will know I am on about, *******s!

Why don’t we petition the government to relax the gun laws?

Let’s wipe out these vermin!

I know, I know slightly hard core,

.... but when you have spent your hard earned cash and valuable time on the love of your life and some low life takes her away you will know I am on about, *******s!

If only it was so simple! Won't the criminals then bring guns with them?

Do all you can: Datatag, mark parts, register the bike, fit alarms and ground anchors, remove bike parts. Do all you can to slow or identify thieves and increase the likelihood of them leaving fingerprints or DNA.

Fingerprints and DNA…. :rotfl:  do you live in the real world!

The last time I called the police for an attempted bike theft all I got was a crime number for the insurance!?!?!?!

Sometimes it seems you post something intended to be a help only to get a pile of criticism.

In reply to the last post, yes I do live in the real world but in a different police area to you (and a very low crime area)

I have first hand experience of 2 attempted thefts where despite no loss of property the police took the trouble to investigate properly. In one case they got  DNA from spit, in the other they identified marigold washing up glove prints that matched another crime for which the person got 21 months.

In the case of the DNA it did not match any record held at the time but a person who matched was jailed for another crime about 18 months later. The prosecution brought up the damage to our security fence at that trial and the thief admitted he had intended to break into our premises.

Police response is very variable. I have known the just give a crime number response, I have also known when they have not even recorded break ins and thefts yet on other occasions they will go to the effort of describing minor thefts in detail in the local paper in the hope someone has seen something.

CCTV on your own premises is best when you know several others in locality who also have CCTV. Even if thieves wear balaclavas and don't show number plates, it is a fair bet you will be able to get the plate number from other CCTV in the area and possibly a face as well.

CCTV will deter many thieves.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the police have not been very helpful when we have had attempted burglary ‘s  (which is 10+ attempted and 2 burglary's)

It does make you angry when someone tries to steel / steels items that you have worked hard to pay for..

So please accept my apologies, the criticism was unintended :thumbup: 

Edited by suzuki250

when I had my kdx stolen many moons ago i called police who asked if it was insured to which i replied yes for them to reply well thats ok then. They never came out to see me about it and even had the nerve to question me on suspicion of gbh when the guy that stole it was found beaten quite badly

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention a couple of recent incidents (tools & equipment, about £20,000 per theft, not bikes) I am aware of regarding theft where CCTV was fitted. In one case the police were called whilst the theft was in progress but they parked on the wrong roads and the thieves escaped. In the other the thieves wore balaclavas and disabled the CCTV.

However in both cases the CCTV contains plenty of evidence, vehicle types, size and build of thieves etc and the Police are in a far better position than they would have been without CCTV info.

Just thought I would mention a couple of recent incidents (tools and equipment, about £20,000 per theft, not bikes) I am aware of regarding theft where CCTV was fitted. In one case the police were called whilst the theft was in progress but they parked on the wrong roads and the thieves escaped. In the other the thieves wore balaclavas and disabled the CCTV.

However in both cases the CCTV contains plenty of evidence, vehicle types, size and build of thieves etc and the Police are in a far better position than they would have been without CCTV info.

Depending on which side of the street you live on.

haha.